▼

Monday, October 5, 2026

The Trojan Wars Project, The Great Sorting

        Having been beavering away painting the Trojan Wares minis it never occurred to me just how they would be organized into units. As I was now approaching the end off the project I decided to sit down and organize the units for basing. I only have eight archers and eight chariots left to paint so I figured that I could sort the rest into units and start basing the minis. I dug out all the painted minis and laid them out on the game table, I was mildly surprised at how many I have actually painted. I began grouping the spearmen into units of eight. I placed them on a base and decided that they looked awfully sparse so I re-organized them into tens. This gave a satisfyingly dense-looking unit. Then I sorted officers, musicians and standard bearers into the formations.

my high-tech method of organizing minis, 
lay bases on the table and pile the minis on the bases,
 not the sort of thing a proper quartermaster would approve of but it works for me. 
 
 
the additional archers will be incorporated into the spear units, 
the unpainted chariots will form four more units (when I finally get assembled and painted)

        I interpreted the descriptions of some of the units differently from the units listed in the rules book. Research shows that archers were often incorporated into the spear units so I added a few in the back row of the bases, that way I can treat the units as Heavy Infantry Warriors or Heavy Infantry with Missiles under the rules. I also decided that I would treat the Myrmidons as loose order troops (Peltasts under our modification of the rules)  that were Drilled, Fearsome and Brutal to reflect Homer's depiction of their impact on the fighting.
        While basing the minis I left a gap in the middle of the back rank so the when a general joins the unit the miniatures can be placed on the base. I'm not sure if I am going to dedicate chariots models to generals, they take up a huge amount of space on the tabletop not to mention the cost of the models!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment