Friday, November 17, 2017

Doors, Hinges and Handles

     Having finally finished the embrasures I decided to indulge my OCD just a bit and add doors in the doorways. Having done so I then found myself compelled to add hinges and handles. A simple process in its own but there are a couple of dozen doors, and it simply wouldn'r do to have some door with handles and others without.

finding myself without any thin balsa (my preferred answer) I decided to  
try slicing blueboard very thinly as a substitute, it seems to have worked



I then scored it with a ball point pen to simulate planks

then I made a couple of yards of 2mm wide paper strips to act as hinge straps and door handles

careful bending over the edge of an X-acto blade and you have a door handle

some carefully applied glue....

and POW!, your doors look really cool
(repeat twenty-four more times)

     I hate to say it, but window gratings are next.

8 comments:

  1. The doors do look awesome but now you’re now entering into “extreme detail” territory. 😀

    I’m sure this fort is going to be amazing when all completed with the effort going into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stew, The extreme detail thing does pose problems......I came to wargaming from scale plastic modeling (IPMS competitions and all that) so there is a tiny voice that keeps insisting on "one more detail" which runs counter to the common-sense "this has to survive constant handling" world of wargaming. It is a constant balancing act but I think thew little details draw people in and add to the immersive effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J&R, you are a monster..... I started down that path originally but, after a lot of soul searching decided against it......now I'm doubting myself....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have never put me in your will. You knew I would try to kill you, but you never realized how insidious I was.

      Delete
  4. A meticulous work, creative ... and superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm putting bars in the windows now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I was once checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part :) I maintain such information much. I used to be seeking this specific information for a extended time. Thank you and best of luck. my sites:front door handles

    ReplyDelete