Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Monday's Child, the Heller 1/72 scale Polikarpov I-153

 

       This kit has been in my collection since 1978 (at which time it was a fairly new kit). Since its introduction it has been manufactured by almost a dozen different companies but this is the original and best. I had just assembled and primed some 28mm Greek Hoplites and needed a break from such concerns so I entered The Vault and dug into the Plastic Mountain where I found this little kit. I had started it some time in past ages so there was only half a build which left plenty of time to get a coat of paint on it in the time that I had free. This is an excellent kit, parts fit was very good and it was easy to build. Alas! There is no pilot, I will have to round one up from the parts box.

as quickly as I had it assembled I shot a light coat of white primer over the kit

for a while I have wanted to paint a Soviet fighter as one of the Black Sea squadrons that painted their aircraft white, it turns out that they were very pale gray on the metal areas with aluminum dope over the fabric covered sections, once more I found myself custom mixing colors!

not quite the stark contrast as a pure white aircraft
 but the giant red stars really show up on the pale color-scheme

the decals had held up very well, just a touch of yellowing on the film 
(look at the tail numbers and you will see what I mean)

very much in the vein of the Red Baron, this paint-job screams
 "Here I am, come and give it a go, if you are feeling lucky!"

I only realized as I was putting it in the showcase that I had forgotten to attach the windscreen!

a trip to Hobby Lobby is in order to get some oil pastels to do the weathering on this kit 
and the last three models I have built






No comments:

Post a Comment