Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Star Wars Trench Run, The Dark Side Prevails, UPDATED

 

       Having watched the famous trench run scene a dozen times now I was struck by how very dark it in inside the trench (as it would be, there being no atmosphere to diffuse the light). With that in mind I test painted a couple of smaller sections with a base of flat black paint. In looking at it now it just seems too dark. Thoughts and ideas in the comments section are welcome.


 
       So, I asked around and the consensus was to  go with a very dark base coat then shoot white down from above to create the shadow effect. I went ahead and painted the entire model black (again) and patiently (yeah, right) waited for it to dry. Once that had (finally) occurred I grabbed a rattle-can of flat white and gave it a shot. The black paint absorbed the white paint like a sponge. And this is 2xPrimer coat paint! I sat back and sipped a bourbon and thought, then I fell asleep (a common occurrence when I devote time to thinking). By the time I awoke the white paint had dried and I gave it another shot, this actually made a difference, which heartened me greatly. I will give it another go in the morning but it is clear to see that some progress is being made. Now I just have to figure out how to paint the bottom of the trench.
 
a couple of shots of Krylon 2x Primer

the next morning it got a couple more coats.....it is beginning to really make a difference

I couldn't resist a little photo-editing

2 comments:

  1. Dammit Anton, you know if you do a great job on this I am going to want one as well.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the base of the trench, you could do a similar thing to the walls, but angle it at 45°, so the white hightlights are only on the front edges of the tiles, from the POV of the starships going down the trench, as from their view, the light would only be on the front of each tile. That would make the bottom of similar colouring to the walls, but still differentiate it enough to show where the "light" is coming from from the POV of the pilots. Just my 5 cents... Brilliant work, by the way. Looking forward toseeing it in play.

    ReplyDelete