Monday, July 27, 2026

"...so many long-haired Acheans swarmed across the plain..." The first full batch of Bronze-Age spearmen

        I was satisfied with my first small test sample of spearmen so I went ahead and spent hours cleaning up a larg(ish) batch of spearmen for a "mass-painting event". Unfortunately the prep work took a huge amount of time. I always loved the sculpting that the Perry brothers did for Foundry but the actual castings left a lot to be desired. Flash, mold-lines in hard to reach places, vent sprues, and short-shots meant that I spent many hours with these lads before they were ready for primer (which instantly revealed all the places that still needed work). I hope that the current production is better than these ancient castings. 

       That being said they were fun to paint. Lots of colorful clothing and those wild boar's-tusk helmets were a great change of pace from the uniforms of later ages.  

these might be "later Trojans" I might just use them as Myrmidons 

then there is this horde of spearmen 

it looks impressive at first but there is barely enough there for four bases under Midgard rules 
 
all those long spears will make for tricky basing 

I found more of them on Ebay so there are more painting-marathons in my future 

but I'm taking a  break from spears and switching to brazen chariots 
 
another Ebay find from  rjdunn62miniature
he provided excellent prices and superb service 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment