Wednesday, August 5, 2026

More Chariots, now with Dendra Panoply


       Having a shortage of time last week and next I decided against taking on another forty-plus figure painting binge and instead grabbed another batch of chariots. As much as I don't like the extra work in assembly and basing, the much lower figure count speeds the process and gives me a sense of accomplishment. This batch has two warriors equipped in the "Dendra Panoply", the full-length armor suit named after the nearly complete armor found in the tomb at Dendra Greece in 1960.  Although it looks clumsy tests conducted with replica suits of armor and volunteers from the Greek military showed that it really is quite functional .

the Dendra panoply on display at Archaeological Museum of Nafplion
 
I made the mistake of using my light-blue backdrop, 
this tricks my camera  and renders all the subject far more yellow than they appear in normal light
 
 
there is evidence that the bronze armor was left "dark" as in brown-colored from the smith's hammer rather than bright-polished as we moderns think of bronze and brass
I painted them bright just because I think  it looks better than a greenish brown 


the horses are appropriately small,
 poor horseflesh was the reason it took so long for cavalry to develop 

having dealt with ponies and donkeys I can say that small horses can be very violent 
they are not to be underestimated 


        Now all I need to do is paint another six chariots and seventy or so infantry and I will be al set. With luck I can get this project finished before the end of Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment