Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Airport Uganda 1967, building unusual "terrain" items

       R.U.P. has been building his African Cold War collection for over a decade now, it has expanded to include the Arab-Israeli Wars and some other odds and ends. Over the years I have been happy to lend my modest talents to his efforts so when he came to me about building a airliner for one of his scenarios I was glad to lend a hand. Furthermore I had an old "dusty project" in The Vault to add to the effort. R.U.P.  provided an Atlantis model of a Boeing 727 while I ferreted around in The Vault and located an old Monogram DC-3 kit. These would provide eye-candy for a scenario involving an airport. I had been intending to use the DC-3 as my transport for my AK-47 Republic army (which it will still be able to do as it will be painted in the colors of a mythical airline) but it will look great sitting on the tarmac next to the sleek jet airliner. 

       As I am an impatient man I decided to build the kits "in tandem" so I could work on one while waiting for things to dry on the other. This is a trick I learned a while back when I was mass-building 112 1/72 scale T-34 tanks for my Fall of Berlin game.

the kits, an Atlantis 727 at 1/94 scale and a Monogram DC-3 at 1/90th

ages ago, when I was a "scale modeller", I learned that you need to 
add weight to the nose of a model with tricycle landing gear if you want
it to sit right, these poorly cast 28mm ACW figures volunteered for the job

as that was drying I assembled the highly detailed cockpit of the DC-3

and fitted it into the fuselage half , along with the windows

even though the model is about a zillion years old (mold first issued in 1955)
they did try to add some neat detail, here we see the interior of the cargo doors

and they fit nicely in the hatchway on the model

the fit of the rest of the parts left a lot to be desired

lots of heavy mold-lines and gigantic rivets

at least the wing-roots fit fairly well

 on the other hand the 727 went together very smoothly

minimal detail but a very good profile

this poor thing is going to need tons of work

not to say that the Atlantis kit was perfect, look at the huge flash on the tailplanes
fortunately this was easy to remove and did not impact any visible surface

both kits got a bit of putty and seam-sanding before they were ready for primer

in an effort to reduce the visual impact of the giant rivets I sanded them down to about one-third height

primed and ready for paintwork and decals



1 comment: