Wednesday, October 6, 2021

A Commitment Finally Honored


        Ages ago, in the Time Before Covid (TBC henceforth) Rod Cain, the genius behind Flintcon and an all-around great guy, asked me to be in charge of the Paint and Take table at Flintcon 2020. I happily agreed, and to provide some subject matter for the nascent artists to work with I busted out a box of Victrix Hoplites and assembled and primed them. To my chagrin the kids seemed far more interested in dragons and heroes than my dull old historical minis so I ended up bringing a good many of them back home. I promised myself that I would get them painted and put them in a project-box in the painting queue.

         Like good soldiers they stood there, patiently waiting to get their coat of paint, as I scratch-built tons of other things (including three 1/200th scale ships and an island with a starfort on it), painted hundreds of figures in 15mm and 28mm, assembled dozens of sailing ships and 1/72 scale aircraft. And yet they waited. Finally I could endure their accusing glare no longer and dusted off the box they had waited in for so very long and got to work. 

       Embarrassingly it took but a week to get them finished and here they are at last.


 

       The Victrix Hoplites are very good figures that would amply reward a better brush than mine. Even my humble skills managed to make a decent looking force out of them, now I have to enter the Vault and confront the plastic Hill of Guilt (thankfully a much smaller edifice that The Mountain of Shame which is comprised of lead) and find the other four boxes so that I can check off one more box on my "To Do" list.

some further close-ups to satisfy a reader request

as I said earlier these figures would benefit from a more talented painter than I am



these are the old Wargames Factory Numidians,
but they appeared in the above group photo so here they are again


of course Hoplites look better in a group



2 comments:

  1. Kids these days… no appreciation for the TRUE miniatures hobby. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the red linothorax. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete