Saturday, October 16, 2021

Hey Look!! Another Rabbit-Hole to go down


        The guys at Bastion Gaming Center were all building forces in 28mm to play Napoleonics using  Black Powder rules. I already had piles of plastic that I had either bought to review or had acquired through trades. Happy to fuel the fire I let some boxes go at a discount to the guys that were assembling their armies. As I looked through the Hill of Guilt (the plastic one, the metal figures are stored in the Mountain of Shame) it occurred to me that I could build a Prussian force for the 1813 campaign only needing a unit of cavalry and a couple of cannon. Of course I fell for it!

        After a couple of evenings assembling and priming the figures I found myself the proud owner of  two-hundred and sixteen 28mm foot figures in need of paint. A couple more evenings of pounding through the process I still had 216 28mm figures in need of paint, but just a little less in need of paint. I am using a chaotic mixture of blocking, washes, contrast and shading as I work through this mountain. My objective is to have them done by Thanksgiving, but we will see how that pans out. The only addition will be a regiment of Dragoons, a regiment of Landwehr Cavalry and a medium foot battery. This will allow me to represent the 11th Brigade of the Prussian II Corps at the battle of Leipzig in 1813 (with a few battalions of infantry to spare).

some of the mob (others got left behind at Bastion in a logistical error)

the Friewilling Jager had to go first

while the Reserve got stuck with their dull blue uniforms

8 comments:

  1. Fortunately, the 1813 Prussians are pretty straightforward to paint - not a lot of lace, piping, and so on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the reasons for my choice!
      A very workman-like uniform and a very limited color palette as well!

      Delete
  2. Get 'em. That's a steep slope right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will look fantastic when finished. Sometimes, plainer uniforms look better when finished since they are less visually busy. Certainly easier to paint to completion. May the painting muse remain a presence until you reach that point.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sit an stare at my miniature. My MO-JO is gone. But I did 3 print Quatre Bras Farm. Now I got Borodino Kickstarter coming at the end of November

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, you are too good a painter to lay the brush aside entirely. Paint a single figure that catches your eye, or a general for an existing army.

      Delete
  5. I took a glance at the pictures and immediately thought "Theres no way he painted all that Retreat from Moscow stuff that quickly!" before I realized its white primer.

    ReplyDelete