Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Thracians take a thrashing, WRG 6th ed, yet again

 This time Around Anton gave me the "head fake".  We were working out of the first half of the first book, so all the VERY early armies were in play.  Anton spent the week talking about using the "Northern Barbarians" the Asiatic step nomads before they discovered horses, so I went with the Historic opponents, The Early Shang Chinese.  Anton however instead went with the Thracians which guaranteed a blood bath for our battle as both armies relied on 2 handed cutting weapons.   Anton massively outscouted my 49:1 so I deployed my army first.  


Anton's Army deployed left to right as follows.  
36xPeltasts, 12-IRG B, LMI 2HCW, JLS & Sh; 24-IRG C, LMI, JLS & Sh
36xPeltasts+, 16-IRG C, LMI 2HCW, JLS & Sh; 20-IRG C, LMI, JLS & Sh
12xLight Horse, IRG B, LC, JLS & Sh
20xLight Infantry, IRG C, LI, 1/2 JLS & Sh, 1/2 S & Sh (in front)
CinC HC JLS & Sh between the two light infantry units
36xPeltasts, 16-IRG C, LMI 2HCW, JLS & Sh; 20-IRG C, LMI, JLS & Sh
36xPeltasts, 16-IRG C, LMI 2HCW, JLS & Sh; 20-IRG C, LMI, JLS & Sh
20xLight Infantry IRG C, LI, 1/2 JLS & Sh, 1/2 S & Sh (in front)
12xLight Horse, IRG B, LC, JLS & Sh
36xPeltasts+, 12-IRG B, LMI 2HCW, JLS & Sh; 24-IRG C, LMI, JLS & Sh

My army deployed left to right as follows.  From Anton's success with some smaller sized units, I decided to implement the same with my Chinese.  
20xArchers REG C, LI, B
24xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh
24xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh
24xBodyguard, REG A, MI, JLS & Sh carrying PA Standard including CinC, HI, B
20xArchers REG C, LI, B
32xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh
24xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh
Attached to above, Sub General w/2HCT, B, JLS and P standard on 2 Horse Lt Chariot
45xPeasants, IRG D, LMI, IPW
Second Row  16xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh
16xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh
16xHalberd/Spear, REG C, MI, 1/2 2HCT, 1/2 JLS & Sh

 

On Turn One Anton surged forward with his whole army, his left side light cavalry doing so to their utmost.  I advanced rapidly on my flanks and with my archers to the right.  During the turn my CinC joined the large Halberd/Spear unit to ensure a quality performance.  Missile unpleasantries were exchanged.  At the end of the turn several units had to check for their first time in charge reach.  All passed, but Anton's light horse on his left rolled so high that they went impetuous and charged onto my second unit of Halberds/Spear.  


On Turn Two my archers took station on the crest of the steep hill on the left.  Anton's Impetuous charge did not go well and the Light Horse were pushed back.  Realizing they had made a mistake, the light horse ran away.  To the right, Anton's other unit of Light Horse charged my archers in the open, who promptly evaded.  In the woods on the right when my peasants and Anton's Peltast+ saw each other they were required to take a surprise sighting test and both units went impetuous.  


On turn Three My Peasants were reminded that they were peasants and they were broken (Anton Rolling Up Four was actually the decisive factor)


Otherwise on Turn Three my battle line charged and ran off all three of Anton's light troops.  Being regular they halted at the light troops evade line to avoid becoming disordered.  There are MANY benefits to trained troops in the rules!  On the left side Anton expanded his First Peltasts unit to charge up onto the hill to clear off my archers.  However, my archers managed to survive the turn and stayed in the fight.  Meanwhile my first Halberd/Spear unit maneuvered to assist the archers next turn as one of my 16 figure units marched to the flank to assist.   My Second Halberd/Spear unit and Anton's Peltasts+ charged each other with my Halberd/Spear pushing back the Thracians.  Anton's CinC joined his third Peltasts Unit to prepare to charge my large unit of Halberds/Spear next turn.  In between my Guard Unit and Anton's Second Peltast unit advanced for next turns charge.  On the far right Anton's Peltasts+ pursued and caught my Peasants adding to their woe.  In the rear my Right side reserve unit advanced and deployed into line to assist the Peasants with their eventual attempt to return to good order.  


Once again on Turn Four our CinC's had both joined units and promptly charged each other.  Both units caused more than 100 casualties and resulted in both units becoming shaken, but my unit caused more casualties than Anton's.  Additionally once casualties were assessed we diced and Anton's general was found among one his dead.  My general survived.  My Guard Spear Unit pushed back Anton's second Peltast Unit as well


The remainder of turn four was a confused whirl of blades.  Anton's Peltasts on the hill pushed back my arches a second time which broke the archers.  However, my Halberd/Spear Unit pushed back Anton's Peltasts resulting in a literally swirling melee.  Anton charged his light horse in again, this time onto the flank of my Guard unit who seeing the movement from a "mile away" simply turned to face, neither side doing enough casualties to accomplish anything, but it did turn the tide of battle in the center enough to allow Anton's Peltasts to avoid being pushed back a second and fatal time.  On the right Anton's Impetuous Peltast+ crashed into my unit of Halberd/Spearmen and pushed them back.   


On Turn Five the tide of the game began to turn.  On the right Anton pushed back my Halberd/Spear unit a second time and broke them.  I also failed to rally my peasants so their rout was now permanent. The fight in the center continued to be inconclusive with me general still surviving.  However, My guard spears managed to push back both the Peltasts and cavalry.  My Halberd/Spear Unit pushed back Anton's Peltasts+ on the left and broke them.  This rout swept the Light Horse away in it as well.   On the left my Halberd/Spear unit pushed back Anton's Peltasts on the hill for a second time breaking them.  


On Turn Six my units on the hill began working on to get off the hill.  My Guard Spear and large Halberd/Spear units both pushed back and broke their opponents.  On the right Anton's impetuous unit pursued and caught my fleeing Halberd/Spear Unit adding to that carnage.  On the left my routed Archers having passed my formed reserve unit took and passed their morale test to rally.  


Turn Seven saw Anton pushing back my reserve unit of Halberd/Spear on the far right, but the impetuous train was weakening and with all his other combat units routing and his general dead Anton Conceded the battle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment