Monday, September 30, 2019

Convention Review Pro Or Con 2019

         I had the great pleasure of attending this year's Pro or Con wargaming convention. As has proved in the past this was a laid-back and fun show with some really attractive games on display. I was without my usual assistant and roving reporter J&R so I am sure that a few games got missed (I was also running a game in the second session). The flea market was up to its usual standards and I walked away with a few new (to me) gems.

Horns of Hattin

Rod Cain returned with his Triumph rules and an absolutely gorgeous Horns of Hattin game



28mm figures, beautiful paint jobs and a simply HUGE custom terrain  board

I understand that the Crusaders won this one, 
keeping their knights under strict control and  staying on mission




Infinity Tournament

 the convention also featured a boisterous and well-attended Infinity tournament this was the handiwork of the tireless Zhodani Commando who reportedly funded the prizes out of his own pocket

which featured a lot of tables covered with detailed sci-fi terrain





Dead Man's Hand 
 
Mark Magdowski presented a Dead Man's Hand game wherein the outlaws hand to rescue a compatriot from the Sheriff before he faced the consequences of his past

Battle of Trenton
 
Michael Wedding used the AWI version of Fire and Fury to present this visually stunning game of the Battle of Trenton ( I love winter scenes) 


Battle of Inkerman
 
Michael Wedding also hosted this game of the battle of Inkerman using home-brewed rules, 
the players seemed to be having a jolly time with the proceedings




Battle of Berlin
the Michigan Toy Soldier staff hosted this game of the Fall of Berlin
 using What a Tanker rules and the hilarious Chibi tanks from Meng


Close Action
admirals Suffren and Bickerton squared off in the Indian Ocean in this very pretty game set in 1782

Stars Wars X-Wing
Steve Fry gave budding Imperialists a chance to end the Rebellion
 in this massive game of Star Wars X-Wing 

Return of the Vampyre

Michael O'Brien hosted this stunningly good-looking game of vampire hunting 
using Pulp Alley rules



Paper Soldiers

this unscheduled game displayed the Paperboys cutout soldiers 
Peter Dennis' artwork (and a lot of patient cutting) made this a visual feast


there even was a cardstock vilage

if seen from the side they are a tad skinny, 
but from the back or front they are very convincing



Tin Soldiers in Spain
Todd Kershner presented this very attractive Napoleonic game set in Spain


Check Your Six!
Dave Winfree presided over this game of Check Your Six using 1/300 scale aircraft

      My apologies to anyone that ran a game that I managed to miss. My thanks to the players that participated in my game that I ran in the second session. I was having so much fun as the G.M. that I forgot to take any photos!  I am looking forward to next year, hope that we will see you there.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention with Infinity Tournament. They really had fun.

    I completely didn't have time to take pictures and though I saw the Trenton table had no idea which battle. Now I am sad I didn't get to play in it as it's one of my fav battles of AWI. Todd's game in Spain with Nappy boys was another I missed. Damn Infinity;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always appreciate pics from conventions. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete