Monday, September 30, 2019

Quarterly Review 2019 Q3 (On time even!)


     Well, I am happy to report that it has been a productive summer. The sweltering heat has kept me in my basement workshop and I have been enjoying wargaming again. For starters I think that I have hit an all-time high of having played 28 games in the last quarter, exceeding (barely) an average of two a week. I published a set of rules for French and Indian Wars, a heavily modified set of  One Hour Wargames rules for Napoleonics (along with army lists for the campaign in Spain) and have discovered (hat -tip to Joe) a fast and fun set of rules for the Pike and Shot era (something that I have been searching for over the last thirty years!).  

      These new rules, Tercio (free set here), caused me to do something that I have never done in the forty-five years that I have been wargaming; rebase an army. So far I have rebased over 220 figures and will, by the time I'm finished, have rebased over 1200. The discovery of these rules has caused me to re-invent an old Pike and Shot era campaign but having lost the maps and notes I had to reconstruct it from memory. This brought about a brand new continent and map along with the four great empires that will be squabbling across it. I have had jolly fun creating the countries and erratic personalities that rule them.

      In the workshop I have built four 28mm bridges, a base for a Playmobil Colesium, and a 28mm Dark Ages tower complete with base and interior. This last item lead to another first; tiling a roof with individual tiles in the manner of Ian Weekly of Battlements fame, a project that wasn't nearly as traumatic as I feared it might be.

       I posted three book reviews, three more fort walk-arounds, four after action reports and attended (and reviewed) one convention; Pro or Con 2019.  Overall I made 56 posts to the blog and took in over 150 comments (which are always welcome)

       Finally, but far from least important, I got my painting mojo back and managed to paint a dozen 28mm St Petersburg Dragoons over the course of a couple of days.

      All in all a most satisfactory summer.

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Your getting that much gaming time in? That's it, time to talk with the Wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim for Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sometimes the days change, other times I'm busy, but that is the target.

      Delete
  2. Glad the retirement gaming is going apace. Super productive quarter your having. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most important of all I'm painting again. I was going to point out to you that the St Petersburg Dragoons are ALL waving swords, just like you prefer ;)

      Delete