Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Revell 1/72 P-36 Build

 


 

       Another of the classic old Revell kits from my childhood, this little gem is one of my favorites. Sure, it has raised rivets and panel lines but they are very finely done. The parts fit is exemplary and the overall outline is spot on. Not bad for a kit that is over half a century old. This kit might just be a gate-way drug into yet another small air force; I have models of all the Polish combat aircraft, the Finns would be a bigger proposition as they lasted longer than the Poles but it still had a limited inventory.  As usual I'm building the kit "S.O.B." (Straight Outta the Box) which includes using the standard kit decals (which look pretty good in this case).


just a tiny bit of flash, and some seam sanding  
is it just me or does the pilot look oddly small?

the engine is unlikely to to win any awards but it isn't too bad

the wing panels fit together very well, 
just a bit of a gap on the inner end of the leading edge
 
which a touch of liquid cement and a few minutes of pressure solved pretty well

the wing/fuselage joint was nearly perfect

no need for filler on any of the joints, a cockpit interior 
(or at least an instrument panel) would have been nice
 
letting the model "hang" in the box as the landing gear glue dries

impatient as always, I didn't wait long enough and had to reset them
 
with the engine cowl in place the very clean lines show up well

just have to wait for the primer to dry and I can start painting 

the first coat of paint always looks awful
 
subsequent coats look much better

whenever possible I try to get the first coat of color 
on the glass while it is still on the sprue

I added the black camouflage over the green and glossed the model for the decals

the extreme age of the decals was a problem, when first made they were very thin for the time and would probably have performed very well only if they had been used in the first two or three decades

but the backer didn't want to let go of the decal after fifty years,
 nudging the decal with a stiff bristle paintbrush loosened the decal but also caused cracks
to avoid this with the rest of them I coated the decals with Future floor wax, this helped but didn't completely solve the problem, perhaps I should relent and buy some aftermarket decals

our tiny little pilot can easily be seen through the ample canopy

a quick coat of matte finish and we get an idea of just how much the background color can trick a digital camera, the olive-green and black camo turns into tan and chocolate

the pale blue Finnish national roundels fade away almost completely




and when we flip the backdrop over to the khaki side the colors shift 
still not what the model looks like but much closer!





same model, same lighting
khaki background.....

....and sky blue background,
go figure!






 




 

 

 


10 comments:

  1. This model came out when I just started high School. The model only cost me 35 cents. I already had purchased Revell Hurricane for the same price. 1962 was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those "three plane sets" that they did to a theme, it is priced at $2.99, so was probably a few years later. I am looking for a copy of the Monogram kit of the same plane with little luck.

      Delete
  2. The color shift with the different backgrounds in amazing. Makes one glad the Mark 1 eyeball still works so well.

    Even with the decades old decals, your model looks great!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for a truly neutral gray to use as a backdrop. The only one I have the camera thinks is light blue and shifts all the model colors to a warmer shade.

      I might just break my "straight out of the box" rule to avoid problems with decals in the future, some of the old marking are simply terrible. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. A great end result from pretty basic beginnings. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please allow me to hijack your thread.

    If you are looking for planes to build that will also irritate the heck out of me, Airfix has swung a deal with Warlord Games/Blood Red Skies line and is coming out with Blood Red Skies in 1/72 with airfix kits. ( https://www.airfix.com/us-en/shop/coming-soon-1/airfix-blood-red-skies.html )

    For two reasons I will NOT be making this jump. First, these are real model kits so significantly more work involved in assembling in order to start the work of painting. Second because they cost a LOT!!!! more. The base set lists at $80 and included 4 planes. The 1/200 scale original version lists at $50 and includes 12 planes. Getting 67% less models but paying 60% more money for them violates my basic outlook on life.

    But I tought I would just let people know it was an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably have most of the stuff you would need for early war up to Battle of Britain already in hand.......it would make a heck of a demo game at a Con (assuming the Gretchen ever allows such things in Michigan)

      Delete
  5. Mike, If we are allowed to gather is groups again. The IPMS contest usually have old guys sell off their stash of old 72nd skill kits. Same goes for 1/144 scale. The reason Warlord picked 1/200 scale was to stick on prices of odd ball scale. If you are worried on price just print 2d flat models.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am more converened about building models. I did list that concern first ;-) I a sure that the scale is different and the turning widgets will be different.

    Besides the French and Brits for MAdagascar, I already have the Brits and German/Itlains for Battle of Britain. I am not doing a new scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be a wimp, we all need to have every conflict in AT LEAST two scales......get with the program! It is even better if those scales are incompatible with stuff already owned by other members in the group ;)

      Delete