Monday, February 19, 2024

Some prehistoric terrain bits and a little side-project

       My good friend, Zhodani Commando, is setting up to run a caveman game using the Tribal! rules. You can check out his beautifully painted minis over at his blog. I offered to put together some terrain for the game using the still massive pile of insulation board that I have. He happily accepted. I haven't been painting much lately so I thought that a terrain project would  re-light those fires. 

        I dug out my old friend, Proxxie, and got to work cutting insulation board. Pretty soon I had several bits sorted out and enlisted my buddy, Mr 60-Grit, to round off some edges and get the models ready for spackle and paint. That is where things stand for the moment.

I bought this off a flea-market table at a convention a couple of decades ago,
a coat of primer was as far as I got with it, I'm sure the talented brush of Z.C. will bring out the best

it is based on a real Neolithic hut found near the Urals

cavemen really NEED to have a cave so that is what I started with

Ivar Ironchin has been recruited to lend a sense of scale, he is a proper 28mm figure
 
  
time to download some pictures of cave paintings to decorate the interior

and what Neolithic game would be complete without a stone circle?

and the cave man era simply must have an extinct volcano
 eroding away to expose the basalt columns within

of course a couple of "normal" hills are required as well

as a side-dish The Housemartin asked me to give some of his surplus S-Boats a facelift  to make them look like R-Boats for his Cruel Seas collection, the success of this effort remains to be seen

        The greatest problem now is to resist the urge to build a complex underground cave system to go beneath the hill with the cave entrance. A couple of layers of blueboard cut up into a labyrinth of caves with campfires lit by LED lights to scare off the sabre-tooth tigers and cave-bears...........

No comments:

Post a Comment