Monday, February 12, 2024

Warfare By Proxy, or At Least It Was Quick

       This time around we were working out of the first book once again  Anton selected the Early Hebrews (list 13) and I selected the Illyrians (list 26).  Anton's army had absolutely no cavalry, and there was not enough terrain on the table for his light infantry to count for scouting so he had officially "Zero" scouting points.  With my army I had presumed that I would be outscouted and elected to have my CinC on foot.  I also chose to include an allied contingent, whose general could only be selected as on a horse, so I had exactly 1 scouting point.  Due to the odd system of scouting in WRG because "1" if more than "50%" more than "0", I out scouted Anton and his troops had to be deployed first.  I also had the option of flanking him on either, or both flanks if I wished.  I did not!  So here are our deployments.

  

 
Anton's army was as follows.  He obviously expected much impetuousness.  
Unit A  Light troops, 20 IRG C, LI, 1/2 B & Sh, 1/2 S & Sh (front Left)
Unit B  Light troops, 20 IRG C, LI, 1/2 B & Sh, 1/2 S & Sh (second in Front)
CinC LHI JLS & Sh
Unit C  Simeonites and friends, 45 LMI, JLS & Sh, 1/3 IRG A, 2/3 IRG C(third in front)
Unit D  Gaddites, 20 IRG C, LI, JLS & Sh  (Right Front)
Unit E  Picked men and friends, 45 LMI, JLS & Sh, 1/3 IRG B, 2/3 IRG C  (Rear Left)
Unit F  Simeonites and friends, 45 LMI, JLS & Sh, 1/3 IRG A, 2/3 IRG C (second in rear)
Unit G  Simeonites and friends, 45 LMI, JLS & Sh, 1/3 IRG A, 2/3 IRG C (third in rear)
Unit H  Simeonites and friends, 35 LMI, JLS & Sh, 2/7 IRG A, 5/7 IRG C (Right rear)

My army is in the distance.
Unit I  Gaulic Mercs,  33 IRG A, LMI, JLS & Sh
Syracusan Ally General  HC, JLS (he promptly hopped off his horse and spent the entire battle on foot)
Unit II  Spanish Mercs,  22 IRG C, LMI, HTW & Sh
Unit III Illyrian Warriors, 33 IRG B, LMI, JLS & Sh, 18 w/LTS
CinC LHI, JLS & Sh
Unit IIII  Illyrian "Warriors", 33 IRG B, LMI, JLS & Sh, 18 w/LTS
Unit V  Illyrians, 36 IRG B, 2/3 MI, LTS & Sh, 1/3 LMI JLS & Sh
Unit VI  Illyrian Warriors, 33 IRG B, LMI, JLS & Sh, 18 w/LTS
Unit VII  Slaves, 21 IRG D, LMI, JLS & Sh

 

Neither army wished to dilly-dally so they both surged forward on Turn One.  Anton's missile troops took their shots causing minimal casualties.  Anton stole my village, that is the beige rectangle in his deployment zone, and I decided to get "cute" and placed two sections of "scrub terrain to the left of the village, both stayed.  Anton's "Unit E" slowed down due to the scrub as I had forgotten that LMI are slowed in such terrain.  Light infantry, such as Anton's "Unit A" are unaffected by scrub.  

  

On turn Two the armies drew closer and more missile unpleasantries were exchanged, but now we were in charge reach so basically all units had a morale test to start the next turn.  
 

On turn Three my army almost entirely lost its mind and went impetuous, Units 1 through 5 all taking on a blood lust.  The only exceptions for me were "Units VI and VII".  "Unit VI" did not begin frothing at the mouth because being in a wood meant that they could not see what the rest of the army was up to.  "Unit VII", being slaves, were not enthused, but at least did not turn tail and run away.   Anton's "Units: C, E, & G" also went impetuous.   My "Units: II, III, &V" all pushed back Anton's Units, while Anton's "Unit G" pushed back my "Unit IIII".  On the left, my impetuous "Unit I" failed to contact Anton's "unit A" because of the slowing effects of the scrub.  On the Right Anton's Unit D, tried to evade from my "Unit VI", But did not run far enough and got caught from behind leading to the expected carnage and further running by "Unit D".   




On Turn 4, on the left Anton's Unit A, had no problems running away form my impetuous "Unit I".  My "Units II and III" pushed back Anton's "Units E and F" causing them to break.  Meanwhile Anton's "Unit G pushed back my Unit IIII once again.  Since my entire Unit IIII was "B" class it did NOT break on the second turn of being pushed back as Anton's units had because they were mixed morale grades so their "C" class troops turned to flight and the better morale grade troops went with them.   Finally, my unit V pushed back Anton's "Unit C" for the second time in a row breaking it as well.  On the far right, Anton's "Unit H" charged my "Unit VI" who were reforming having lost contact with Anton's "Unit D".  My disordered "Unit VI" was pushed back as a result.  In the Rear my "Unit VII", the slaves were moving at a less than active pace toward trying to help "Unit IIII" as its morale was flagging, but would not make it in time.  
 
 

On Turn Five, Anton faced some morale checks due to routing friends.  Anton's "Units A and B" failed and routed off the board.  Anton managed to push back my "Unit IIII" for the third time and they broke.  Anton also managed to push back my "Unit VI" getting it closer to breaking, but not quite there.  With five of Anton's Seven units routing off the board and no hope of saving any of them, Anton conceded the short contest.  In this case my smaller units of higher quality proved successful against Anton's larger units of a bit lesser quality.  

Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment