Saturday, October 5, 2024

Mikro 72, LWS CZPLA Polish Recon aircraft

        As a way to take a break from grinding though tons of old Hinchliffe Indians I decided to dig an old kit out of the Heap Of Shame and slap it together. Well, it was an old kit but it was no case of slapping it together, this little baby took some work to sort out.

a simple-enough looking kit .....

....of an uncomplicated airplane, a small amount of flash,
 but mold technology in the 1970's was pretty primitive

aside from the central wing portion the fit was good
 
the cabane struts were atrocious
 and I ended up replacing them with stretched sprue

holding the wing in place was a trick as the glue dried

a quick coat of spray paint knocked down the vivid green of the plastic

strangely sleek looking 
 
it took several coats of paint to get an even finish

 
it wasn't until I looked at this picture that I noticed that I hadn't gotten the wing quite right

a heavy coat of gloss to prep for decals

 
despite being nearly a half-century old the decals were excellent

the decals were nicely opaque and thin

 
some Vallejo matte varnish knocked the gloss down



 



I only wish that it had spats

 
       For a kit that is truly an antique this makes up into a good looking model and is an accurate representation of the original aircraft. It suffers from some foggy details and poor casting but I've seen far worse (Airfix BV-141 I'm looking at you) . I think my next project will be a US fighter from the "yellow wings" period, the Polish aircraft have a pretty plain paint-job, I need some color.

No comments:

Post a Comment