Thursday, October 18, 2018

A Return to the Lace Wars Part....oh heck, I've lost count

may I present the Danish Lifgarden til Hest

     Strangely enough, now that I am not under pressure to get units done for the convention on the 27th, I find it easier to get units finished. In my quest to find units of different colors I chose the Danish Lifgarden til Hest (Guards Cavalry in English). Matching the foot guards in snazzy buff-yellow coats with carmine cuffs and turnbacks they are a sharp-looking unit. The blackened steel cuirass contrasts nicely with the bright colors of the uniform.


     Building this unit I fell prey to the hazard of plastic figures, I tried to build each one as an individual, each one is posed differently to the other figures (albeit some only slightly). This was a fun unit to build and paint and it exploits the multi-pose capacity of the figures. One glaring mistake that I didn't realize until after I had finished the unit; they wore their coats OVER the cuirass.......sooooo anybody out there that knows of a unit dressed with the coat under the cuirass in these colors that can point me at some information please do and you will win a special prize; a cannon, painted and complete with crew.


it wasn't possible to avoid the sword-waving pose entirely

there was a spare right arm on the sprue that had escaped my notice up until now
I used it for the firing poses as the elbow was straight

the swords were more of an issue in posing

hey Kevin, those are your brand-new SAGA hills in the background 
you didn't say if you wanted steep or gentle hills so I made both

roaming the battlefield looking for an opponent

      Now I have 60 of the 108 figures finished, just barely past the halfway point (and only if I can resist the urge to buy more). At one unit a week I should have them all completed before the end of November! (Yeah, sure.....and we will be "Home by Christmas").

6 comments:

  1. I hate doing cavalry. This why it took me months to finish mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap, and I am only working on 12 Orcs and still don't have them done. Great job! Nothing like a convention to motivate ones self to get it on with the paint brush.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might look at the Saxon Leibregiment
    same colours (cuffs in buff and white hat lace however)
    They have the advantage of being allied with the Danes in the later GNW.
    see:
    http://northernwars.site40.net/Notes%20on%20the%20Saxon%20Army%201700-1716.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on those figures. I just completed some and did just a basic job on them as they did not justify further. You make them quite presentable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Regiment. The Wurttemberg Leibgarde had similar colours and breastplate on the outside. Though gold edging for the Tricorn. Other than that about 50% of Austrian Horse Regiments would probably match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I immediately saw that glaring mistake and I’d like to help you as soon you tell me what a cuirass is...

    Unit looks good and I like the sword wavers. 😀

    ReplyDelete