Thursday, October 4, 2018

Old Fashioned Vaudeville

"hey Ed, do you smell glue?"
    
 Two men standing near a medieval cottage:
        LOU: (pointing excitedly) "Ooh, Ooh, herd of horses!"
        BUD: (with a hint of sarcasm) "Of course I've heard of horses"
        LOU: (pointing once again) "Not as in 'have you heard of horses" but as 'Look, there is a herd
                                                          of  horses"
        BUD: (noticing the large number of horses running by) "That's not a herd of horses"
        LOU: (frustrated) "A bunch of horses all running around together is a herd of horses, right?"
        BUD: (growing angry) "Of course it is, what are you, an idiot?"
        LOU: (pointing once more) "And that is a bunch of horses all running around together, right?"
        BUD: "Well, for the first time you are making sense, yes that is a bunch of horses together"
        LOU: (exasperated) "And would you be so kind as to explain why THAT bunch of horses,
                                          running around together ISN'T a herd of horses"
        BUD: "Don't you see, that isn't a herd of horses, that is Anton's next painting project!!!"
                                                 
                                                                (drum sounds Ba-Da-Bum)

"yes I do Junior, but it is Testors, so we will be alright"

     OK, if I was any good as a comedy writer I could have Fernando paint my figures for me, but you just saw my skills in that vein. My self-imposed mission is to have all of these guys operational by Christmas. Once they are completed I will have 108 cavalry in service, which I hope will be sufficient for my rules.
     The hardest part is deciding which units to paint, I want to paint only real historical units even though they are being used in a semi-Imagination campaign. I would like to make full use of the variety offered by the Wargames Factory design and the wide choice of colors that units used during the period. Reader's suggestions will be considered but I warn you, there will be a red-jacketed unit, some Russian green-coated dragoons and at least one wild French unit in yellow with red facings (I swear it looks like they were dressing in Elton John's closet!).

9 comments:

  1. I finished my cavalry after months of painting them. I use a humbrol paints over a good primer. After which is use oil paint stain to highlight the horses. Quick and easy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just give that a try, for a moment I was considering spray paint and Army Painter dark dip.....

      Delete
  2. I'll be danged! I'm painting horses right now too. Not a herd though. 16th century Korean horses for Pikemen's Lament. Woohoo!

    And THAT is actually your fault!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit my guilt (safe in the knowledge that you are an eighteen hour drive away from me!)

      Delete
  3. Dude, I don’t which is worse, you writing bad comedy, or me reading it.

    You need to go upstairs and then outside and breathe fresh air when you start feeling dopey, and I don’t mean one of the seven dwarfs, unless you haven’t H E R D of them;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the smell from the plastic glue, I spilled a bottle of the liquid stuff but stayed on task with tube cement until I had them all assembled. I have felt like that since the positive pressure mask failed when I was working at the auto paint shop!

      Delete
  4. A large group of unpainted cavalry is actually called a “pain” as in a “pain the the ass to paint. “
    😀
    Good luck on finishing by December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are good man, but I plan on breaking them down into manageable sized groups; you know what they say about eating a horse "One bite and at time, and keep at it!"

      Delete