Thursday, July 18, 2019

Book Review Australian Bushrangers Osprey MAA 525

     Osprey does this to me every once in a while. They publish a book with an almost irresistible subject and pair it with instantly engaging artwork. The first time that this happened to me was their Arthur And The Anglo-Saxon Wars back in 1984. It has happened several more times since. It happened again the other day when I casually picked up this book;


      What can I say? I am a sucker for rebellious Irishmen, exotic locations and great artwork. Before I got home I was rationalizing getting into playing this. I already have tons of Victorian minis (a long-held fascination with VSF subjects spawned those) and a good set of Shoot-Out rules. And at least one manufacturer produces the hero from the front cover; Ned Kelly in his bullet-proof armor. I am in too deep already!

      But enough of my mental meanderings. This is a standard format Osprey Men At Arms volume; 48 pages, great color artwork (and I do mean great, this approaches the late lamented Angus McBride) tons of black and white illustrations and just enough information to really get the hook set.  The text is easy to read and explains the establishment of Australia as a penal colony, the types of people who were sent there and the structure of society. They then explain the motivations of the "bolters", the convicts who fled into the interior to escape their prison sentence. These were the original Bushrangers, men who lived on (and preyed on) the edges of society. The book covers the transition of these outlaws from skulking convicts into romantic highwaymen as the decades passed and the structure of Australian society changed with the discovery of gold and the success of ranching. This change is illustrated by a series of short biographies of some of the most prominent Bushrangers. Some of the most audacious and significant robberies are covered as well as the almost universal violent end that most of them met.

      I have to recommend this book to anyone even remotely interested in the subject; great read, stunning artwork and a unique subject all combined in one slim volume. Buy it now!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Anton! I'm hoping it might inspire some manufacturers somewhere to go a little deeper into the subject - there's more to bushranging than Ned Kelly! All the best, Ian K

    ReplyDelete