Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Dirt Cheap Mini Bases

what treasures does this battered metal case hold?


      I will admit it; I prowl local garage sales looking for things that I can use in wargaming. Sometimes things are obvious; unbuilt plastics kits, "those old toy soldiers", toy dinosaurs, other times you have to think outside the box, or maybe inside it. I stumbled across these almost by accident, the sturdy metal box is what caught my eye (having once -as a teenager at a garage sale- purchased three Colt M-1911A1s under similar circumstances when I was just trying to buy their cool wooden boxes; wow, did my Dad freak out!) so I peered inside to see what deserved such protection; poker chips! I have never been much of a gambler so I have no need of poker chips but, when I picked them up I noticed the weight, they are possessed of a nice heft. The price of two dollars made them nearly free and the fact that I was looking at something on the order of two hundred perfectly round, 39mm size, hefty discs meant that I was going to be all set for miniature bases for quite some time.

I suppose the box might even come in handy

the perfect size for 28mm figures
 (of which I have several thousand in need of paint and bases)

1 comment:

  1. So someone else has discovered the wonders of a poker chip case! I found mine for a few dollars and it has been amongst my best wargaming investments ever. Those chips - they've been used for basing, make for great hatch on a roof or spaceship and I regularly use them as counters in games. The case is awesome: I glued a sheet of metal in the bottom, and as my 28mm minis are all magnetised, I can now load up a decent collection and safely transport them to the pub and back for a game or two. Hint: find metal L-brackets (used to connect bits of wood together at right angles, and they can be connected to the base with magnets + it allows you to lie your minis down flat - great for spears, banner etc.

    ReplyDelete