Sunday, March 29, 2020

How about some highlights?

    
  the last time we saw my Afghan village hill it was a wet mess of chocolate brown paint.

        A night's worth of drying time solved that problem and I got right back at it. First I double-checked to be sure that there wasn't any loose sand anywhere, once I was satisfied that all of that was locked down tight I began the two-stage drybrushing effort. The chocolate brown was only ever intended as shadow so the first coat of medium brown was applied very heavily. A second coat of medium brown was added after the first had had a chance to set for an hour. After that had dried for an hour I broke out the light tan, this too was applied liberally to all of the surfaces to establish a base and then a second coat was added with a lighter hand to make the details pop. Once this had had a chance to dry I will add a coat of pale gray then some white highlights.


for some reason this color always photographs much greener that it appears to the eye

the embedded sand gives a nice irregularity to the surface

the light tan really makes the details pop

1 comment:

  1. Dude that last photo is just eye popping, I really love the direction this is headed. I could never in a million years have made something like this.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete