Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Let's talk Real Estate, Afghan Style

steps one and two 
chocolate brown base coat with medium brown dry-brushed over it

       Having finally gotten the hill to my liking I decided to have a go at painting the village that was the source of this whole project. The buildings were coated with the ever-present chocolate brown and then a heavy dry-brush of the same medium brown that I used on the hills. In all the photos that I have seen of Afghani villages they seem to be exactly the same shade of brown as the surrounding terrain. Next was the light tan highlights (a good bit heavier a dusting than than hills got) followed up by a thorough dusting of pale gray. Tomorrow I will go back and add white highlights and a few touches of color. All that remains is the other panel with the riverbank and irrigation canals and poppy fields.


for one brief moment I considered stopping right here

but then I tried the highlights on the little building

and I liked it so much that I added it to all of the others

all this drybrushing has been hard on my brush collection,
 the casualty rate is beginning to look like Pickett's Charge!

fortunately further work will be much more narrowly focused 
and is unlikely to kill any brushes





11 comments:

  1. Looks great. Love this period. How large is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buildings are made for "heroic" 28mm.
    Afghan architecture is just above Neolithic, you could use these buildings for anything from prehistory to today. With that in mind I didn't put modern-looking tire-tracks on the roadway, on the other hand, mule dropping haven't changed much in the last 5000 years

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are sure busy on lock down... Oops social distancing to be correct. I almost on panic mode as I am running short on printing filament. That is one awesome city. I have my Samurai castle running pretty good. The center gate tower is almost finished. One corner tower, another in work and walls. Later take care Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great, well worth the casualty rate on the brushes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fantastic! Seeing bigger pictures really helps.

    Order brushes if you need them right away. Amazon is giving priority shipping to other needed items. Who knows when hobby supplies will show up.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Heroic 28mm, mathematically speaking about 1/50th (not having the blueprints I'm only hazarding a guess)

      Delete