Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Second Tour in Afghanistan

metal yes!
plastics, NO!!!!!

          Ages ago I began a project for my good friend, Zhodani Commando, wherein I undertook to build a base for some Afghani buildings that he had purchased. This project had moved along nicely until I sprayed the nearly completed base with a matte clear coat that I had been using on minis for a couple of years now. This product is a solvent based automotive finish that is very flat and extremely hard-wearing; unfortunately it is also a lacquer-based paint and contains an extremely high amount of powerful solvent. A bit of thought would have had me waiting for a restock of Amory Matte Sealant at my local brick-n-mortar but I was in a hurry and thought that the thick coating of Durham's Water Putty and vinyl spackle would protect the vulnerable polystyrene foam that formed the body of the work. How wrong I was! The solvent penetrated the thin spots and dissolved the underlying structure leading to a collapse of the entire thing (I won't say what happened next but I will admit that I lost my temper in a rather significant way). The upshot of all this was that I had to start the project again from scratch (the wooden base having disappeared during the fire).


       So here I am (thankful that I kept all of my planning documents) back at the stage where I start adding surface detail to the groundwork. This time I'm only using water-based paints, I swear!

the horrific color is just a coat of standard latex housepaint, 
I buy gallons of "mistint" whenever I spot a useful color on the rack
 
I will admit that it does look like some sort of
 insane wedding cake covered in chocolate fondant

next comes rocks, gravel then sand followed by some drybrushing

3 comments:

  1. Interesting article. As for loosing your temper....No not you...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does indeed look like a cake! But being a fellow hobbyist I know this is the ugly stage with lot’s more to do.

    I am excited again! I even found one of my large trucks (MTV I think, I can’t remember) that I turned my bloody house upside down and couldn’t find it a few weeks ago. Then when I was looking for something else I found it and swore to myself.

    My only problem would be not knowing when I could get it from you after you finish it! It’s always something:(

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty good to me already!

    ReplyDelete