Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Basing an Afghan Village, From Paper to Blue-Board

the terrain sketch that Kevin chose

      Having consulted with Kevin as to which layout he preferred I took my sketch to the workshop and began laying out the terrain directly onto the surface of the plywood.

the first step was to grid the vase off into one-foot squares
to simplify transferring the sketch to the full-sized base 

  
a quick check to make sure that the sketch
 and the real buildings and my hills are going to work together




double-checking against the drawing

and finally I commit by drawing the terrain lines in using a Sharpie


next was adding the first layer of blue-board 
and making sure it complied with the terrain sketch


then the second layer was trimmed and added to the base

the building were once again added to the surface
 to ensure that  everything would fit as planned



the S-shaped approach to the Big House doorway isn't a canyon,
 it will have a gradually rising pathway leading from gradient to the doorway

there seems to be a great deal of vertical dimension,
 perhaps I will have to swap some white board for some of the blue board 
to keep this from becoming a Himalayan terrain piece...

     So much for the easy part, now I have to get down to the nitty-grity.

5 comments:

  1. Hi

    Have you thought about basing the buildings first and then doing a inlaid hole for them to fit into the hills? I have used fun foam to make a slot/hole for the piece to fit into, to save storage. You could then used them on the flat game table and on hills. Also you can Magnetized large buildings and hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly my plan, you can also replace the building with an orchard, a rocky outcrop or farm field, check my previous post for my ideas on that

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, coming from a superb modeler like you that makes me blush

      Delete
  3. Coming along nicely. I love following your terrain projects. 😀

    ReplyDelete