Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Rigging a Black Seas Brig

I started out intending to just add the paper sails
 that I had downloaded and printed out. It didn't end that way....

 Truth be told it hasn't ended yet......

no, I'm not having a formal dinner party on my gaming table,
 I'm stretching sprue 
the candle provides a gentle heat source
..............and an air of elegance

an old Lindberg kit was kind enough to donate some spare sprue,
the hard styrene plastic is better than the soft gray stuff out of England,
round sections are best

hold the sprue about an inch above the flame, 
rotate it slowly, like a rotisserie 
it will get shiny when it is ready to stretch

once it looks wet all the way around and is soft enough to droop easily it is ready to stretch,
pull gently on the ends, the speed that you pull will dictate the thickness or thinness of the sprue

in no time you will have miles of the stuff

  
cut the bits a tad long and trim once the glue on one end has set,
I use superglue, brave souls and REAL HERO modellers, use liquid polystyrene cement 
my method is to get a tiny drop on one end of the plastic rod and place it on the model and then prop the dry end near where it will eventually get glued, once the first end has set I trim back the long end and glue it in place

a very sharp X-Acto or a pair of nail trimmers are best for cutting back the long end of the sprue
I prefer sprue to thread as it isn't fuzzy and doesn't need tying

       I'm not quite finished with this one, not sure if I'm going to try to make ratlines......stay tuned!

9 comments:

  1. Those turned out really well. I don't need sailing ships in any scale other than 1/1200, but they are REALLY tempting. Your painting work on her is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For another option, try running some thread through PVA glue, hang it, and let it dry. You can then cut it into nice straight bits to add as rigging. I tried that method with my first ever ship build (https://lostinthegrants.blogspot.com/2019/09/enterprise.html) and was pretty happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the rigging! Stretched sprue is a classic technique, but why did you go that route over thread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thread is "fuzzy" while the sprue is smooth, and my bratwurst-sized fingers can't tie knots in thread to save my life!

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I do the thread with glue and is not fuzzy but whatever works. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice. I'm starting to rig my first brig, but the instructions in the game are for a frigate. Do you have a diagram to show the completed rigging, or did you just look at photos of completed models in the rules?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked online and found rigging plans for brigs, there are more than one way to run the rigging of a brig. If you are setting out to replicate the full rigging I tip my hat to you, my rigging is merely suggestive; I posted another article on 10OCT19 that shows my efforts at adding running rigging https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2019/10/1700-black-seas-brig-standing-and.html I hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used styrene round rods MFI-10, worked great and it is what I had on hand.

    ReplyDelete