Thursday, October 3, 2019

Painting a pair of Warlords Black Seas Brigs

after priming I glued the hull and deck together
   
     I really don't have a need for these or any real reason to be painting them right now but they are such nice models that I couldn't help myself. 

a thinned wash of light brown over the wooden deck

then I painted the inside of the gunwales and the cannon carriages red

then I picked out the cannon barrels on the inside 
and painted the muzzles and gunports black on the outside 
the gratings were painted dark brown and the details picked out in white

they were coming along nicely so far, 
the somewhat exaggerated details make painting all that much easier

then the upper outside hull got a stripe of yellow
 while the lower half of the hull got charcoal grey
 
 the hammocks along the railing got a shade of grungy brown-gray

at first I thought about leaving them at this stage, 
but I decided that they needed more color

so one got an upper stripe of black while the remaining unit got a blue stripe

the masts were done up in yellow and black 
but they look terribly naked without sails and at least some sort of rigging

one final bit was a wash of burnt umber over the inside 
to make the deck planking pop and the pull everything together 

     I have to say that the models paint as easily as they assemble and look quite nice even given my limited skills. The lack of standing rigging in this scale will have to remedied as will the absence of sails, but that is work for another day.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I like the looks of BS but the models look too fiddly for my skill levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having built both plastic and metal kits I would say that they are a bit easier due to the precise fit of the parts and the quickness of the plastic cement as opposed to superglue. The main problem to my mind is the odd scale......

      Delete
  2. Looking good...I've picked up some Brigs and a Frigate from the magazinea and am about to have a go...the rigging scares me a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For rigging I think that I'm going to use stretched sprue; none of the fuzziness of thread and you can glue it with superglue so there is no knot tying either

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely painted. I think these that came with the mag are without sails but if you bought a box sails are included?
    I like the cotton thread stiffened with glue method for rigging. The threads don’t fray.

    ReplyDelete