Friday, October 2, 2020

The relatively quick follow up on the Jacobite post.

 So I managed to get the canons put together, building this with MDF is always an interesting trick and the more fiddly the item, the more I think people should not make the item out of mdf, but people keep making them and I keep ending up with them so here are the canon builds.  

I did not realize it at first but you get two different models of guns.  There is a subtle, but important difference.  This is the first version, I will call it the "C" gun. There are actually seven pieces in the canon.  A base plate (the little plus) a barrel, two wheels, two trails and an axle.  The set included two extra axles and four extra wheels. 


And this is the other version, I will call it the "B" version.  Since they are an MDF construction of a tine little thing, neither deserves the title of an "A".  

The critical difference is small but important.  It is at the left side on the bottom of the trail.  Notice how one trail has square hole, and the other has a square cut out?  It does not seem like it is important, but it does make a notable difference in the build.  


Here I have begin the construction of a "C" gun.  I have glued the barrel to the axle and I have glued the trail base to both trails. The problem with this base is that gluing the base plate in does not secure the trails.  You can not wait for the glue to set up as then the trails are unlikely to have the proper width or alignment.  Until the glue sets the trails move QUITE freely when you attempt to do anything with the carriage.  So these carriages become quite the free swinging operation while under construction.  


Here I have glued the axle with the barrel already attached to the trails.  Once again there is really nothing to hold the assembly together at this point so extreme care is needed to get it all together at the same time.  


Here I have glued the "B" version together.  The holes in this version combine to lock the entire trail together once the base is glued in.  Obviously it can be taken apart, but even when wet the combination is remarkably more stable that the "C" version.  


Here is the "B" version with the axle and barrel glued in.  I was originally so concerned about the "C" versions wobblyness that I was going to leave the guns this way to dry.  However, I decided that I was concerned about the angle and the only way to correct it would be to get the wheels on and set it officially to dry.  


The Wheels are a little tricky to get on as you are putting a square peg into a square hole, but they fit rather precisely so it does require a little "push" to get the assembly together.  However, too much "push" will break the wheel.  While I did not break any of mine, this obviously must be a concern because they give you four extra wheels and two extra axles, which are also pretty delicate.  My other thought was that they were trying to give some sort of caisson for the limbered gun, but such a thing did not exist until the Napoleonic age, so this would be 50 years too early and they give you no ammo box in any event.  So I decided to just leave the extra wheels and axles as spares.  Here you see all four guns finished and set in their posts on the bases.  Once again, the "C" versions had alignment trouble, but using the "B" versions as weights I got all the guns sorted out.  


I then set about getting the gunners sorted out.  The two smaller bases had notches in front which they gunners fit in, but the gunners would not fit in any other slots.  In the end I decided to use the plethora of 1 figure bases to mount the remaining artillerists individually for now.  

I was quite happy to find that the entire contents went right back in the box ready to transport and set up in very quick order.  Overall, I am very pleased with this set and these figures.  

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photo information.
    I bought the 18mm WSS army in August, very impressed with the figures.
    Slightly disappointed in the guns, I bought Eureka 18mm SYW cannons to replace them. Then I had an idea.
    As I felt the guns and wheels were too thick, so with a very sharp modelling knife I cut the wheels and gun carriages in two. Replacing the barrels with round ones.
    Here is a link of my WIP on the Wargame Web Site.
    https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/war-of-the-spanish-successin-18mm-wofun-games/

    Excellent web site.

    Stay safe and happy gaming,
    Willz Harley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, you really have done a brilliant job on that mob of figures! I am unlikely to join you in reflagging, but that blackening of the edges might take place. Are you really using toner ink?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for your kind comment Housemartin, I use Games Workshop anrax earthshade ink wash for the edges. One boring log job but worth it.
    I am very impressed by Wofun Miniatures I now have 2300 odd 18mm figures and buildings ready for gaming all for a months work.
    I will be getting some more Jacobite's or Republican Romans.

    Stay safe and happy gaming,
    Willz Harley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for your kind comment.
    Not toner ink but Games Workshop Anrax earthsade ink wash.

    Willz Harkey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willz, Thanks for the update I will make a point of looking for some my next trip to the hobby store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to say angrax earthshade ink wash Matt, that is what I used.
    Games workshop do a gloss version in the same looking pot.

    Stay safe and happy gaming,
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete