Sunday, May 28, 2023

Secondary Structures in the Barmkin.......and a spot of paint

        As important as the Great House is there are other building crucial to the functioning of the Bastle House community. Kitchens to prepare the food for the extended family and a stable for the Laird's prize horses. A combination of these were to be found in most prosperous locations. The kitchen was normally excluded from larger homes due to the risk of fire, the stable because horses have such trouble with ladders and stairs. Some smaller Bastle Houses had a ground-level entrance to a vaulted chamber where valuable livestock could be secured during raids with a kitchen included in the home as there was no extra staff to handle the cooking. As with all Bastle Houses, and their earlier near-cousin Pele-towers, there was no standardization of design, each was built to the whim of it's owner so any combination of features is possible.

last we saw out kitchen and stable they looked like this

once the glue had dried I gave them floors and doorways 
the kitchen gained a chimney
 
the removable roof sections are card-stock and blueboard
 
thatched with teddy-bear fur and then spray painted a deep brown

I'm not entirely happy with the thatched roofs,
 it appears to be a VERY windy day!
 
even with the outbuildings there is still plenty of room for livestock and vassals

that reminds me....I will have to see if I can get OldSarge to print a few Scottish cattle for me


I had a few more minutes of spare time so I tried out a little color on a wall section


       Now that I have attended to the Laird's needs I will have to knock together some cottages for the humble folk. These should be a much simpler proposition as most had but two rooms.

1 comment:

  1. The project is coming along really nicely! With my Teddy Bear fur I use really watered down Elmer’s glue and comb it with an old toothbrush. When that dries then I would paint it. It’s how I did my Saga buildings.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete