Sunday, May 19, 2019

Drums at the Rapids convention report



     For years I have been promising myself that I would make it to Drums and, for one reason or another, never have. This year I attended and realized just what I've been missing out on. The convention takes place in the museum and visitor's center of the historical Fort Meigs. This fortuitous situation allows one the opportunity to play in a wide variety of games as well as tour the museum and grounds (which I did and which will be subject of another post). This is a relaxed and friendly convention which provided a good selection of games throughout the weekend



Powder for the King  was presented by Rusty Parker and John Patrick, a right jolly looking game that featured a considerable collection of boats and hordes of nicely painted figures














Battle of Dirkstein was presented by Steve Verdoliva, it featured some very well painted 10mm figures on an attractive gaming mat. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the game which was a Seven Years War battle fought out using  For King or Empress rules.









The energetic Steve Verdilova also presented the Battle of Metaurus using the Art de le Guerre rules





All Quiet On The Martian Front (well, to be truthful, not terribly quiet at all!)  was brought to you by Dave Elmore






A hypothetical battle in the run-up to Waterloo was presented by Ted Bender. I didn't catch the rules but his offhand comment about painting ALL of the figures that you see here in a ten week period left me feeling envious of his skill and energy level.







The Battle of Freeman's Farm was brought to us by John Kopchak using some lovely 28mm figures. I didn't catch the rules but the players were having a great time.










Todd Kershner presented Death in a Country Lane which featured his own rules American Civil War 101. I would have liked to play in this game but it was completely booked when I tried to sign up. The players were having a great time of things.





 


Seige of Fort Meigs was presented by Victor Hiris in 28mm, a simply massive game featuring miles of MDF stockade and seven blockhouses as well as hordes of 28mm figures. I heard that this will form the basis of a permanent display at the Fort.





Bush War in Rhodesia was brought to us by Mike Demana, it had loads of lovely figures, excellent terrain and a couple of helicopters (I love helicopters!) Wars of Insurgency rules were used








High Value Target was put on by Jon Wonacott, it featured loads of nicely dome 28mm figures in a raid on a drug cartel HQ.











Another Hot Day in Mali was brought to us by by Jim Casey using Skirmish Sangin rules. I had the pleasure of playing in this game and enjoyed the rules quite a bit (despite losing two-thirds of my men to a well thrown grenade).








Onward Australia was presented by my old friend Mike Reese using Arc of Fire rules and some glorious terrain as well as a complex scenario. Nicely done.
 


















4 comments:

  1. Great report Anton. Thanks for posting the review on the con.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw this on TMP. Thanks for a great set of inspirational pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been going to this event since it was held in a hotel and MDG ran ORIGINS here. Always good. Hmm. Run before digital cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Specatacular pictures/tables, I especially like the boats/beach on the first game...

    ReplyDelete