Wednesday, January 6, 2021

1/72 Hasegawa HE51 Build and paint

       The HE-51 was one of the early German fighters of the newly-established Luftwaffe. Slow and under-gunned by later standards it was a sturdy and maneuverable aircraft that laid the foundations for the fighter pilot corps of WW2 fame. It first flew in 1933 and was rather long in the tooth when it was sent to Spain in 1936. It enjoyed a brief period of superiority until Soviet aircraft showed up on the Republican side. After 1938 it was used by the Luftwaffe as a trainer. This one qualifies under my "Spats/Fixed Undercarriage" and "What Were They Thinking" rules, it comes close to the "Too Cool" but it is a pretty transparent copy of the P6E Hawk so loses that distinction.


box and contents

another mutant pilot

assembly was straightforward 
and the parts-fit was very good aside from this nose piece

fortunately the plastic is thick enough to allow sanding away the flaws 
 
the lower wings fit perfectly and the cabane struts are molded 
as a unit that fits into holes in the fuselage

these help ensure that the upper wing is aligned properly 
 
which makes adding the one-piece interplane struts a breeze 
 
at first I was baffled by the huge hole in the bottom of the fuslage

then I realized that the landing gear assembly filled that gap
this one-piece unit ensures that the model is precisely aligned and strong
 
the spats are two-part units that have molded on wheels the only real issue is that the hole
 in the top of the spat is so large that the end of the landing gear leg can wobble,
 constant checking for proper alignment while the cement dries is imperative

once the landing gear is set there is just the prop to add and we are ready for paint

oops, there was a little sanding needed on the back edge of the landing gear/fuselage joint,
 do this BEFORE adding the radiator, not after like me
 
as the model was supposed to be gray I used gray primer, 
a mistake as the primer was MUCH darker than I remembered

some illustrations show the Luftwaffe gray almost this dark
 but I felt it was too strong a color on a model this small

so I started custom-mixing my own colors

still too dark......
 
there we go!
for those who care equal amounts of Americana "Boulder" and "Titanium White" 
"Santa Red" for the nose
 
after a second coat to even out the color I added gloss, 
I also painted the pilot because he was (once again) the only detail in the cockpit

then I checked the instructions for guidance as to decal placement

they weren't much help

the decals were yellowed but looked OK otherwise
 
the backed absorbed water quickly (usually a good sign)
 
and then the decal fell apart
 
so I raided one of my extra HE-51 kits for decals, amusingly this had the illustration
 for the decal placement on the back of the box, but an entirely different set of decals inside!
 
these held up a little better
 
after a lot of work I managed to get the markings onto the model and gave them a good coat of gloss, the white areas had yellowed badly and the surrounding film was almost orange
I was most unhappy

but it looked passable, now all I have to do is paint my SCW
 minis and the other two HE-51s and I will be all set!

 
a good matte coat helps some too

 
 
 

 



        An excellent model marred by the very old decals. I am seriously re-thinking my policy on using only original items after the last couple of builds. There seems little point in letting old decals ruin an otherwise nice looking model.


 
 
 

 
 

10 comments:

  1. Another very nice job, Anton. And I agree with your solution about not letting old, deteriorating decals mess up what is otherwise a fine model.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next one will be in Spanish Civil War colors and I will trim the clear surround off of the decal. They look like they were good quality thirty five years ago when they were made.....age hasn't been too kind to me either so I will watch my tongue!

      Delete
  2. I am wounded.

    You seem to overlook that I have a complete 20mm SCW set. Hundreds of figures and all the tanks, (although I admit my T-26's are butt ugly!). How many times have the poor Garda and Assaultos been led to oblivion in games in your own basement! They can go to work at some point after the governortrix decides to releae the vaccine for actual use.

    Although I admit that I had never thought about air power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I give you the stuff that I bought? I can't seem to find a single Fascist in my basement (although there appears to be one available for use in Lansing)

      If your T-26s trouble you we could replace them with PSC versions at a reasonable price. I will handle the painting. I am working on air support for both sides ..... look out for the TB-3 which can outrun most fighters

      Delete
    2. I know not of what "stuff" you speak.

      Delete
    3. I had a bunch of Fascist troops in metal 20mm ages ago......I haven't a clue where they went

      Delete
    4. The police guys in the silly hats and Moroccans (I think)

      Delete
  3. UM ... The TB-3 was the monster 4 engine bomber that only saw combat against Japan and Finland. It had a top speed of 130 mph. And was generally used as a transport because it made a Junkers look fast.

    You are thinking of the "SB", it was a wildly influential 2 engine bomber with a top speed of 300 mph eventually and 280-90 during the SCW. Most 2 engine bombers of WWII are derived from this "bad boy".

    I have several of them for the battle of Britain game, but that is 1/200 scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct, I have two SB-3s, those things turned up everywhere. Their speed one of the reasons so many bombers were armed with single-mount rifle caliber self defense guns (reasoning being "it was good enough in the last war")

    ReplyDelete