Sunday, January 24, 2021

And they're done...... 28mm Gripping Beast Roman Cataphracts

        This took longer than I thought (probably because it has been too long since I painted any figures) but I have gotten the Gripping Beast Late Roman Cataphracts (which I did a photo-review of here) finished. Even if I say so myself they are a nice looking lot of figures. All figures were painted with Americana acrylic paints and over-coated with Krylon clear matte finish. Basing is playground sand over Americana Honey Brown paint and the grass is a mixture of short static grass and Woodland Scenic's "Burnt Grass" fine turf over Americana Medium Hauser Green.

might need some more work on blending that base into the stand....
 
grouped-up and charging into battle



one of the things that I like about the Gripping Beast minis 
is that the riders sit convincingly on the horse

and the horses, well, look like horses


 


 
 
size comparison, left to right; 
Gripping Beast 28mm Late Roman Infantry, GB Cataphract, 
Victrix 28mm Greek Hoplite, Wargames Atlantic 28mm Wild Irish

 

        From a cost perspective these are a very good deal, from an appreciation of excellent sculpting these are very good minis and from a players standpoint these are a great addition to my army.

        Very highly recommended.

7 comments:

  1. Very nicely done Buddy. SO you have a late Roman army. I got an unfinished British-Romano army. Can't seem to get my mojo back. Too many started and not finish project. Must the mask wearing that is sucking the life out me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully painted figures! I'm working on some 15mm cataphracts right now and your color scheme has given me some additional ideas and inspiration.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice painting all around! Especially on the horse armor.
    But we’re the lances always that brightly colored? Seemed odd to me but I’m just a pedestrian. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of illustrations indicate colored lances (often striped or spirals (which is more than I'm willing to attempt!) but I'm sure that a good many were plain wood as well. I also need to figure out what sort on pennants to put on them.

      Delete
  4. Thanks everybody for the kind words

    ReplyDelete