The first two buildings were near copies of the Saloon from the last article so I will not go into a lot of detail regarding the construction, needless to say they fit fine and I knocked them out in short order. But my feeling of elation lead me to make a mistake, let me show you with pictures (that thousand words thing, you know).
the parts laid out and ready to go
you should spread the glue thinly and evenly for the best results
you should clamp or weight the pieces while they dry
this is what I love about GCM buildings, they don't make me try to eyeball it,
the place where the window frame belongs is unmistakable
with the sides and back done it was time to move on to the facade
with the clamps still in place I finished the front
then I found these in the bottom of the bits bag,
what on earth could these be?
they are clearly some sort of Victorian do-dad,
the kind of thing that had no practical purpose but made a definite style statement
brackets! of course, brackets, I have seen these many times on period buildings
so I promptly glued them in place
then added the ones that would go under the porch as well
(the Vikings seem to forming-up for something)
I assembled the walls and made sure they were square
I then added the fancy porch and thought myself well satisfied
the next building was identical except for the facade and brackets
and a fine looking building it is.........except.....
from GCM's site
I went to CGM'c website to get some painting ideas while the glue was drying and was horrified to find this photo. What I had assumed to be brackets were actually architectural elements (called gee-gaws or dentils) the picture shows them holding another ornamental bit in place. Too late to rip them out as the glue had set I consoled myself with the thought that they looked pretty good as brackets.
Suitable chastened I moved on to the largest of the models; the Livery Stable. This beast would pose a bigger challenge than getting my building bits right, the model is large enough that the glue did not have the tackiness to hold the wall sections in place while I monkeyed around getting the rest of the structure put together. I dry-fitted all of the parts to be sure that I wouldn't encounter any surprises during the assembly (they fit perfectly, of course). Lacking access to my stash of Legos I resigned myself to sitting and holding the first joint for ten minutes while the glue dried.
by far the largest model, it is also one of the simplest
after ten minutes I felt confident that the joint would hold
I added the next wall
another ten minutes and I could add the the last wall
constantly check the squareness of the model,
on a building this big any error will show
I got lazy and used the building to hold the roof square while it dried
it was reinforced, those long bits actually belong on other models,
I thought they were scrap bits
this thing is a beast, 28mm Perrys for scale
you could have a shoot-out INSIDE the model
it dwarfs the other buildings
the town square seems to lack something.....
something that featured in almost every Western Movie,,,,,,
what was it?
A Hangman's Platform! Nothing like a gallows to cheer up the Public Forum
and there it was, next in line,
I have to say that this was the most intimidating kit of the lot,
all those pieces, no instructions
then I noticed that the framing was rabbeted
and that the size of the frame matched the size of the platform
the steps went together quicker and easier than I thought they would
just a little patience for the glue to set
then the fun could begin
when doing jobs like this I find it easier to add every other step
to avoid bumping the freshly added item with my fingers
then go back after the glue is set and add the rest
the cross-frame for the noose is next
and the "last walk" can be added
when adding the steps it is best to be sure that the treads all overhang on the same side
with a Perrys gunman for scale
Aside from the misuse of a few parts (all my fault) this went as easily as the last batch. I think these are some darned fine models and will probably be buying some more. I am thinking of writing the GCM and asking for a load of the brackets as I find the little extra detail to the porch frames really makes the models come alive. I could also properly add the roof details that I screwed up. Put me down as a thoroughly satisfied customer.