Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Ironclads based and waiting for rigging


       I found myself planning to start the rigging when it occurred to me that I really had ought to base the models before I went down the rabbit-hole of rigging. That way the models would be presentable for the convention on the 7th of March, you know, just in case I didn't get done with the rigging by then. Not wanting to wait for special ordered laser-cut MDF I just grabbed a sheet of artists matte board, a straight edge and my matte knife and got right to work. I tried to make the bases big enough to ease handling without overcrowding the tabletop.  My main objective was to protect the fragile masts and rigging so I made the bases wide enough that I can pick up the model without grabbing the  upper works. I used a toothpick to spread a thin strip of Liquid Nails to form the wake of the ships. A quick coat of Americana "Uniform Blue" and things were in order. I will use white paint to enhance the wakes and then a heavy coat of Future floorwax to gloss the water area then I'm off to the races with the rigging.



No comments:

Post a Comment