Thursday, February 20, 2020

Monochrome

I haven't glued the masts down just yet there are some deck details that still need gluing in place

       Having assembled some of the ship models I took a try at painting them. I must admit that I was somewhat intimidated by the level of detail on these kits but after I had gotten started it turned out that they were an easier task than I had anticipated. My biggest beef is that there was apparently only one color for ships during the Civil War; black. Sure, sure, there is the odd bit of brown decking or the occasional splash of white but overall these are dreary things to paint. Seriously, how many shades of dark gray are there?  I guess that I will get used to it eventually........

then there is the question of bases, on models this large I hesitate to add bases
 but there will be a fair amount of frail masts and rigging when these are done

2 comments:

  1. I had the same dilemma about basing with my Black Seas ships...in the end I went with clear perspex bases.

    These look great and might just prompt me to make a start on mine which have been sitting unpainted for years.

    ReplyDelete