Thursday, September 17, 2020

20mm Strelets War of Spanish Succession French Musketeers Firing

 

front of the box, more of that odd Russian photo-montage artwork

       Fresh off the presses we have the latest edition from Strelets in their 1700's series; French Musketeers Firing. Inside you will find 44 figures, 40 infantry and four command/standard bearers. These are molded in a stiff gray plastic that shows detail superbly. All of the figures are in useful poses and are well proportioned in realistic poses. This is the sort of thing that makes me regret having painted hundreds of 28mm figures a few years ago! These figures are simply beautiful, the level of detail is simply breath-taking.

back of the box

the contents, one Command Sprue and four of line infantry

this is the real beauty, I have 40mm lead figures that can't come close to this sort of detail

the uniforms have the right cut for the period and hang convincingly on the figure

the fineness of the surface detail is simply superb

and that level of attention to detail extends to the humble soldiers as well

in an era characterized by overt ornamentation of uniforms
the sculptor of these figures has captured the detail perfectly
 I have never in forty years of figure collecting seen anything to match these 

       If you have been thinking of the period of 1690-1715 for a wargaming subject Strelets should be your first choice for miniatures. These are simply superb but are also representative of the effort that Strelets has put into the whole line. If they continue (as they did with the US Civil War series into dozens of boxes covering every available aspect of the conflict) this will be the most complete and detailed set of figures that you can obtain. I am thinking of buying a box just to enjoy painting them, they are simply that well done!

     Very highly recommended!


 

6 comments:

  1. There are lovely, but they are not Zvezda, they are Strelets...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do plastic, but if I were starting out now, I'd strongly consider it. The variety and quality of offerings in recent years has been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have simply mountains of 28mm Lace Wars minis, and now I'm wishing I had waited a bit before getting started. Their US Civil War range is stunning, I think that they have four or five boxes covering Pickett's Charge alone!
      If they can produce cavalry and artillery to this quality I might find myself dabbling in this scale.....

      Delete
  3. A lovely period...and some gorgeous minis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right you all are! STRELETS not Zvezda, this is what I get for posting when I'm tired. The title and post have corrected, thank you all!

    ReplyDelete