Wednesday, September 9, 2020

A Stitch in Time....

crystal clear and dead flat, just like the label says

       I have a habit of picking up tools and paints from sources outside the normal "hobby" line-up. Hardware stores are one of my favorite alternatives. So when I saw this product, from a name I  know and trust, I decided to pick it up. None of the local brick-n-mortar stores can get Armory Matte finish anymore so I have been seeking an alternative for  large projects such as terrain (and my out-sourcing has lead to the occasional disaster including one infamous incident that melted  a 36" square terrain board!). 
       Having learned my lessons I now conduct tests on newly-acquired products, and I'm glad I do!  Observe the test results below, a 1/2 second burst at a distance of 4" in both cases, the hole in the white styrofoam is almost 3/4" deep the one in the blue extruded polystyrene board is a fairly uniform 1/8". Either way this product is going to get my bright red "metal only" sticker so I don't melt any minis or terrain. Too bad because it dries fast and clear with an excellent flat finish.

 yes, I'm that much of a nerd, 
I actually test and record the results

4 comments:

  1. Us other nerds thank you. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, you're not the only one that does this. I have melted many foam samples over the years. Also, always test the product if they have "new and improved" it. 3M Super 77 spray adhesive cost me about six sheets of EPS foam one time, when they changed the chemistry of their product many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are not nerds, we are "special" maybe even "snowflakes". This stuffs works well on my resin models and plastic figures, once they are painted anyway. I have never tried it directly on the figure. It also does not harm foam once it is painted ... I think ... if I remember right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete