Saturday, September 28, 2024

Successfully Seeking Solace in Styrene, the return to spats, the K-P Avia B-35

        As I grind on my next batch of Hinchliffe Indians I find myself spending too much hobby time waiting for paint to dry. To fill these periods of downtime I dug out yet another ancient kit from the Heap of Embarrassment; an unusual airplane from a tiny eastern European company, K-P's Avia B-35. First released in 1974, I bought this kit when it was relatively new back in 1977 from the Squadron Shop in Madison Heights MI. It had shunted from house to house as I got married, had kids, moved three times and finally retired, now it's finally getting built. 

        At first glance it seems a fairly crude model, closer examination proves that to be an entirely accurate estimation of the situation. Plenty of flash and parts deformation combined with some sloppy mold-marking (panels lines, which are inscribed, don't match up as they cross joint lines) gave me some serious reservations as I started assembly.

not a complex kit, check out those helpful instructions!

less than stellar fit due to warping required some clamping
 
 but surprisingly once they were straightened out the parts fit fairly well

 the fuselage to wings fit was surprisingly good
 
but, we all know what this is REALLy about, SPATS
 
all-in-all it's a pretty little airplane,
 now it's time to head to the paintshop
 
bold camouflage pattern with strong colors

my gloss is starting to go off and needs several coats to get a decent shine

K-P was kind enough to provide samples of the color

the decals were excellent despite being nearly fifty years od

the tiny canopy must have made things rough for the pilot

a sleek little plane

the Czech roundels are a relief from the concentric rings approach




but we all know what this is all about; spats! and this is some fine ones!

       It was only while I was looking for paint schemes that I learned that there were only three of these ever built. The follow-on and significantly improved Avia B 135 was built with retractable landing gear and a modified wing. The ironic part is that only twelve of these were built and they all served in the Bulgarian air force.

No comments:

Post a Comment