Monday, September 6, 2021

The Rata Pack, build complete and ready for paint

the factory floor gets messy at times

       Having painted some minis I gave myself permission to go back to building airplanes for the Labor Day holiday weekend. Tired of the serial builds; one of this, one of that I decided that I would build all of my remaining Polikarpov I-16 Ratas in one go. Three of the kits were the classic Revell kit and the last was an IMC kit that was much newer. I knocked together the Revell kits in about 90  minutes (having built several in the past year they were dead-easy) but the IMC kit suffered from a bizarre pattern of sectioning of the parts combined with tons of flash and more than normal parts warping. This one kit took longer that the others to build and required a fair amount of filler and sanding. Be that as it may, I plugged along and got them all assembled, filled and sanded (as well as adding a steel slug in the fuselage to allow for the use of magnetic stands)

a coat of primer and its off to the races for painting.

       Now I have to decide what colors I should give them. One will be in Nationalist Chinese, at least one more will bear the red star of the Soviet Union, and I am pretty sure that one will be set up for the Spanish Civil War. The fourth could go either Russian, or Spanish, or maybe even Finnish.....not sure, not sure.  As I wait for the paint to dry on these I will try to be working on the I-15 series; two I-15s, and one each of an I-152 and I-153. I have no idea what color these will carry.


3 comments:

  1. Excellent...I've been painting lots of these in 1/600th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts are what inspired me to get off my lazy backside and get to work!

      Delete
  2. Good work!
    It's one of my favorite planes.
    Good luck with the painting.

    ReplyDelete