Saturday, December 17, 2022

And then the Partisans showed up.....

         Having become deeply enamored of the 02 Hundred Hours game system (and having painted all the minis provided with it) I was at a crossroads; do I build a dedicated board for the game, or do I assemble the Partisans that have been waiting patiently in the Pile of Regret for so very long? Purpose-built terrain can be quite satisfying; no fudges, no approximating; it is truly What You See Is What You Get. The Afghanistan boards that I built for Zhodani Commando are the product of that sort of narrow focus. 

         The problem is that even with considerable effort at making the boards "geomorphic" they end up being limited in a way that loose terrain is not. While I was thinking about this I wandered into The Vault and found the box of Partisans. I popped open the box and instantly decided it would be the minis instead of a dedicated board. I quickly sat myself down and started assembling the models, and almost as quickly I fell victim to the bane of speed; my habit of modifying plastic figures.....

the head had fallen off the sprue so it was a "volunteer"
a nice active pose.....where could this lead?
 
an arm ready to toss a liberated hand-grenade?

not so fast! I trimmed the grenade away
 
perfect! now for the left arm
 
digging in the spares bin gave me a left arm from the WA WW1 Germans,
but I needed a revolver so I took the arm from the Partisans kit too
 
a quick visit with Dr. Xacto separated the guns from the hands
 
and a dab of tube-cement transferred the revolver to the left hand
 
left arm attached and a whip made from stretched sprue 
and it seems that Dr. Jones isn't quite finished with those Nazis just yet!

       So, after an hour of work I had a legendary action-hero and no additional Partisans. Here is to hoping that I don't get distracted while assembling the rest (and, no, I won't be doing a Dr. Jones Senior -just yet- as I can't find a head with the right hat and an umbrella)

2 comments: