Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Doing it Different, Warlords Epic Ancients for DBA

 

part way through the painting process
 
       My buddy, Joe, is in Texas serving with the US Army . He is trying to get some of the guys in his unit to forsake Warhammer 40K and play historical games. They seem little interested in board-games so little progress has been made. When I got the Warlord Epic scale Carthaginians with my latest Wargames Illustrated magazine I had an idea; I would collect a few more frames and paint them up to use with DBA! This would make for a light, easily transported and space-conscious  historical army that, paired with easy to learn rules, would act as an entry-point to historical wargaming. 
       I finally managed to collect six sprues which is enough to built a half-dozen different armies. The size of the Warlord infantry blocks fits nicely on DBA 25mm  bases so there is no complicated conversion process. I got busy painting right away and it took me just one afternoon to remember why I had given away all of my unpainted 15mm figures! Good Heavens these are tiny! But I persisted and managed to get half of the minis painted and based. I am currently painting the second batch after which I will knock together some basic terrain and make a table mat to play on. Visual will be important in trying to draw the eye of folks that are used to the spectacle that is 40K.
 

I can't say that I'm happy with the bases being just green, 
I will have to find some ultra-fine turf

2 comments:

  1. DBA is a perfect intro game for 40K players. I hope your buddy has success in this endeavor.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look very presentable en masse, which is how they are meant to be seen!

    ReplyDelete