Monday, July 1, 2024

Taking a Break From the Trenches: Building Wargames Atlantic 28mm Great War Russians

        And of course I couldn't just build them "straight out of the box".  I decided to build them as two twelve-man squads and an eleven-man squad and to pose them in as different as possible ways to make them easy to tell apart (I have no idea how well this will work out when I start in on the second box). There is one squad that is pretty much all-out assaulting at a run, one squad that is a firing-line and the last one is a grenadier squad that is all decked-out for close action in a trench. By wholesale stealing bits from the earlier boxes of minis I have built from WA it was possible to generate some very distinctive poses (never, ever throw away old bits, ever!)

the "running squad", of course there is a member of the minor nobility 
waving a sword and shouting just as if was the Napoleonic wars
 
the "shooting squad" this was difficult to build as there is only one set of arms that allow for a proper shooting pose, I had to bulk the unit out with guys reloading and looking for a target

I do like how the arrogant officer turned out;
 "How DARE you attack ME! You peasant"

each Russian company formed a platoon of "grenadiers" from the strongest and most valorous men 
they wore caps and were responsible for scouting and trench-raiding,
 they were allowed to acquire and use non-standard weapons
 
here I pirated heads from the Resistance frame to get the caps, the Great War Germans donated a shovel-wielding arm and some spare grenades, and the SAS and German Guards sets provided some arms and C-96 Mausers
 
I like making my minis as individual as possible 
so I often find myself modifying the way arms hold items
the Arisaka arm is holding the rifle in a way that would be handy if it was holding a Mosin-Nagant
 
so we take the Arisaka out of the hand by cutting away the rifle
 
we set aside the now weaponless hand and find a source for a Mosin-Nagant
there is a arm that is holding the Mosin in a very odd way 
so we will use this as a source for our replacement rifle

a couple of quick cuts and our Mosin-Nagant is free to be redeployed
 
I use tube cement, a tiny dot on either side of the hand 
and we can attach  our Mosin-Nagant to the Arisaka arm
 
once it has dried we can use it one our model
 
 
       A pleasant, but brief, diversion from working on the terrain tiles. Now it's off to Lowe's to get plywood to frame-up the transport crates.
 


1 comment: