Thursday, August 1, 2019

Challenge Accepted

  
     I was so stoked about the Angry Piper's Terrain Challenge that I started at midnight and worked until 2:30am on this little project. As usual blueboard and my faithful friend Proxxie were involved. I wanted a castle big enough to be used as both a tabletop feature and used in RPG as a model that we can play inside. I was also looking for something decidedly different looking.

a nice, large piece that doesn't take up too much table space


it took a lot of time to get the angles right and a 
few pieces got chucked in to bin because they were the wrong size

the building is made in two layers to allow for action on both floors

I used a wide-tip ball point pen to draw the stone work on the outside
the soft blueboard is indented by the pentip and provides a degree to depth to the brickwork




drawing the random stonework without letting the pattern get too regular was a challenge

after an hour and a half I had the lower level done



after I had stuck the gateway to the front of the wall I carefully cut the archway

this was a real change as my freehand skills were a bit rusty



gluing the joints was a problem, when I tried to push the parts together they slipped apart because I couldn't push in six directions at a time, it occurred to me that I needed to control the outside edge of the joint, masking tape neatly solved this issue 

I lightly sanded the surfaces to ensure that the woodglue had a good grip on the material

waiting for the glue to dry is always the worst

3 comments:

  1. Great start. All your terrain projects are top notch. Waiting eagerly to see how this turns out. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is already looking awesome! Can't wait to see how this develops!

    ReplyDelete