Saturday, August 31, 2019

Just under the wire UPDATED with windows (24)

"excuse me Sir, but your roof is too dull to look at;
please make improvements as soon as possible"
(don't you just hate the busybodies in the Neighborhood Association!)
          
            Angry Piper's Terrain Challenge encouraged everybody to build/paint/refurbish/create some terrain. Never one to shy away from a challenge, especially one that plays into a favorite past-time, I promptly jumped on board. After an early start I got  distracted by a little side project and discovered an enthralling set of rules in my one of my favorite periods but I gathered my energies and focused on completing the Tower. I am happy to say that I got it done this morning, just in time for the end of the month deadline.



for fancy detail work like this I break out the real paintbrushes and my favorite brand of paint, Americana, they have more colors than I ever knew existed!

a heavy-handed drybrushing gave the roof some extra color and depth

next came an almost as heavy dusting of Cadmium Red, it has a soft orange tone 
that brightened up the very deep crimson that I had used in the first coat

the difference is immediately apparent

next up a highlight coat of orange 
(they seemed to have hired that same person to name the paints as the  other manufacturer)

that really made things pop

satisfied with the color of the roof tiles I proceeded to the detail stuff; 
the lead peaks that covered the joints between the roofing panels and the doorway

it seems to really hit the nail on the head

if I can get a few minutes this afternoon I will finish the base 
come to think of it I should add some windows too!

and here it is with windows

and I added a door

Ivor Ironchin  tries out the spiral stairway....

I put windows in both floors

Ivor is enamored of the spacious interior, much larger than his longhouse

where do these stairs go?????

the view from the parapet is breath-taking!

the landscaping leaves a lot to be desired but I'm sure the missus will love it!

I'll take it!
 No, seriously, I'm a Viking, I will TAKE it








8 comments:

  1. Marvelous design execution, and details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid work, just wow! Now I will challenge you to show pictures of toy soldiers using it in a game!

    cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the Tony Curtis from the Viking movie with Kirk Douglas... Boy I dating myself here...lol "The Viking 1958"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ivor Ironchin is a figure that I converted to go with our Viking Brewhouse Brawl from 2011 https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2011/04/minor-diversion-part-5-visit-to-knuckle.html

    I converted a bunch of Viking and Saxon figures to provide a gang for some old-school fisticuffs in a Dark Ages tavern

    ReplyDelete