Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Spiral Staircases, Step Two; finishing and installation


looking like the bottom corner of one of Maurits Escher's notepads, or a badly assembled DNA molecule model, I used up the extra bricks building stairwells that turned the correct direction

     Having once again built my stairwell turning the wrong direction (they are SUPPOSED to ascend clockwise) I bulled ahead and put railings on them and installed them in the Hexagon Tower. Hopefully the next time I build a stairwell from the age of swordplay I will remember to have it turn the correct direction!


stairways need railings so I started with a very thin sheet of blueboard about 1.5" wide

in thin sections this material is absurdly flexible and has 
the delightful property of maintaining a curvature once imparted

faced with the  need to complete this project by the end of the week 
I risked injury and pain and broke out the hot glue gun once more
a dot on the outside edge of each stair was enough to hold the railing in place

the speed of the hot glue allowed me to get this whole project done in just a few minutes
(I still have a healthy hatred for the electric monster that lives inside my hot glue gun)

of course it didn't occur to me to measure anything in advance
so I had to attach the railing and then cut an opening where the railing and the gallery crossed paths

once I had that issue sorted out I chopped off the top few stairs so
that the stairwell stopped flush with the upper edge of the ground level

then I cut a hole in the floor of the second level so that the stairs were actually going somewhere

the ground floor assembled, I made the stairwell a freestanding piece
 so that there is room inside for hands to reach in and manipulate miniatures

the second level in place

it has its own stairwell 
(yes, it spins the wrong way too, but why stop once you have committed to something?)

now I just need to cut a hole in the roof to allow the stairs access to the roof,
and build a little house to cover the opening, 
and maybe a pitched roof to get the rain to run off.........

perhaps I need a bigger base

if anybody wants one (or all) of these feel fee to send me an email at daftrica89@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. Still loving this terrain project. Good luck meeting your deadline. 😀

    ReplyDelete