Sunday, July 5, 2020

AD2020 2nd Quarter

       It has been a rough quarter for all of us, a few more so than others and I wish all my readers health and happiness in the coming months. Looking back over the past three months I am struck by how much of a long strange road it's been; two-week lockdowns that degenerated into months of inactivity and ruin, the virtual disappearance of any social gaming, the cancellation of many future events and the general doubts if things will ever return to normal (whatever that really was). We have all coped with the struggle in our own ways; I tried to reduce the Lead Mountain in The Vault by some small margin and bombarded you with posts covering my efforts. This mass of postings was ably added to by The Housemartin who has undertaken the self-appointed mission of representing Operation Ironclad by air, land and sea as well as his Zepplins vs Blimps WW1 aircombat  game.
        Over the last quarter the blog got 37,736 views averaging 414 per day, and gained two followers for a total of 204. In that period I managed to paint twenty-nine 28mm figures and fifty-one 15mm figures (all mounted; so I get double credit for them right? making 102). I completed and painted 32 models ranging in subject from 15mm shanty-town buildings to 1/350 scale Armada era galleons. I did five book reviews and eighteen general interest articles. Ten of the postings covered scratchbuilding efforts, these recorded the final completion of the long-running Afghanistan project and the balance chronicled the 1/350 scale star-fort that spun out of control (why do so many of my scratchbuilding efforts gain a life of their own?) and ended up with the fort getting its very own island home. With the lockdown limiting travel I only managed to visit and record one place of historic interest. Also impacted by the lockdown I was limited to two after action reports, both covering fights in the Great Epicurean Wars Campaign. Finally I reviewed fourteen model kits or figure sets. The Housemartin added fourteen postings covering his two projects. I will defer to him regarding further details of those efforts.
       In all it has been a productive quarter, I would greatly prefer that the world would return to the Old Normal as I very much liked the outlook on 1JAN20 rather than the sobering situation we find ourselves in now. There is nothing for it but to put our shoulders to the wheel and keep on pushing forward, a better day awaits!
        Stay healthy, stay sane, remain calm and keep rolling sixes.

5 comments:

  1. Indeed strange times that are hard to find words for. Anton you made one of my long time visions come to fruition. The Afghan table was set up today, and while I am still playing around with the varied setups I can do, it’s simply beautiful.

    I feel like we helped each other out during these strange times without even realizing it. Your mind was engage during this project, and you carefully and skillfully deciphered my poor description into a work of art. Likewise you kept me looking forward to something when I had nothing really to look forward too (like socializing with my fellow gaming brothers).

    I couldn’t be happier and will call our endeavors a success. With this and the Colosseum it gives me something to strive for when painting my minis. Maybe I won’t be able to game in person for a bit yet, but not it doesn’t seem like a waste to me to paint. Now I have a goal to use these terrain bits if for nothing other than to set up the troops and make LEGO gun noises (pew pew) as I push troops across the table;)

    Cheers and thanks
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You to Anton, here's hoping for better days and face to face gaming in Q3.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange days indeed! But it sounds like you all made great use of your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about being productive. Your output plates mine. All I been doing is running 3d prints. Updating my 3d printers to make them more efficient. Having my cataracts removed. New lense implants. Slowed me down. Losing two friends on the same day. That took the wind out of my sails. Both from heart attacks out of the blue. Next my freakin copier/Scanner croaked. Do you know how hard it is get a new one? Plus the Face book Stasi have been knocking my post with show the flag.. Also the IPMS nationals was cancelled in Texas. There were Antifa clowns threatening to smash all the German model and more. You edit this part. Stay safe my friend. Keep your powder dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I thought I was having a rough quarter! It does get a bit scary when your buddies start dropping. My life-reassessment call was five years back when a friend of mine 47 years old dropped dead. It makes you stop and consider what you are doing with yourself. I hope the rest of your conversion to The Bionic Man goes well. You are right about Antifa; they are to the American Left what the SA was to Herr Hitler. I wouldn't fancy their chances of making it out of the hall if they were to smash any of my toys, especially in Texas!

      Delete