I guess they would be fine for those three weeks in the Fall when the hedges are changing.....
As I was tidying up after the game I took a look at the impromptu hedges and considered what they would need to get a more uniform look. Foliage, and a more consistent color foliage at that! I rummaged around in the paint locket and found a tester-pot of green-gray latex housepaint. A quick stir showed that it had not gone off during storage so I grabbed a stiff cheap brush and my shaker of fine turf from Woodland Scenics and got to work.
the source of it all, I only used about a third of the doormat so far
I made a pile of thin slices of doormat by turning it over
and cutting the backer material with a box-cutter
then I wet-brushed an very irregular coat of paint over the tips of the bristles
and sprinkled the wet paint with the fine turf
after it had set for a minute or so I tapped the loose turf off into a tray and set the hedge aside
I was rather happy with the results so I finished the lot
about twenty-five feet of hedges in just over an hour
and at a cost of under $10.0US
My next project will likely involve cutting it into irregular shapes to use as patches of heath or tall grass......now I have to run back to that store and see if they have any doormats left.
Well, I went back to the store and they are all out, the local Big-Box store (Lowe's) had similar doormats at $15.00US so I passed on buying any more just yet. But, while I was there, I spotted some samples of outdoor durable carpet. They were free so I grabbed a few, these are made of a substance similar to the outdoor carpet that I have been using to make table mats but in different colors; to me they looked perfect for experimentation.
the samples are roughly 6" square I chose the brown and the gray for my first test
narrow lines of brown latex housepaint
a thorough dusting of fine turf
a couple of sharp taps to knock off the loose turf material
viola! a small garden patch in 28mm or a farm field in15mm
a 28mm Egyptian fellahin surveys my work
thinking about crops I tried a different approach,
I sliced the hedge material into very thin strips then did the usual paint-and-flock ,
these should work as rows of standing crops when placed on a earth colored base