Friday, May 15, 2020

Dusty Projects XIII, Get Him To The Greek UPDATED!


the lone figure that I finished painting back in January when I assembled them

       Having run out of of ships to assemble and paint I decided to take a step toward a different subject and a much larger scale. These beautiful Victrix Greeks have been knocking around the workshop for months now so I figured I should tick that box off and get them done. Besides, I had purchased some of the Citadel Contrast Paints before the world ended and was itching to give them a try.


given my limited skills he turned out OK

I tried out the flesh and red on a couple of the other figures

the colors flowed well enough, and I really like the red when it is applied over white,
 over the tan primer it came out very dark

seeking a better, and larger, sample I used both colors on the remaining light infantry
the hoplites looked on, unimpressed

I like the colors well enough but the flow and definition left a lot to be desired, but then again,
 these were old Wargames Factory Numidians which aren't the cutting edge of detail

to make it a fair test I recruited a group of "volunteers" from the hoplites

there were plenty more that declined the offer

a closer look at the lights

the colors are bright but do not tolerate handling well, and because it is a wash,
 they are nearly impossible to do touch-up painting on

there is great potential for using slightly different base coats 
and getting different final colors that still look like a unit

the flesh wash had some serious issues with flow 
and created some odd dark patches that were not particularly effective

I suppose that they provide a serviceable and fast way to get some shading effect,
 tomorrow we shall see how these paints work on the far better Victrix hoplite sculpts

and they DO work rather better on more deeply sculpted figures

applied directly over a flay white surface the flesh wash was still a bit dark 
further highlights were needed to make the figure acceptable

the red applied over the same white paint was very satisfactory



these paints would be particularly useful if painting large areas of flowing cloth 
such as the the fabric barding on a middle ages cavalry mount

they are adequate if you are in a hurry to paint a lot of figures
 that will be used en-masse and not subject to close scrutiny


the hoplites still need their sheild symbols paint

they turned out pretty well 


they are more colorful from behind

       Now the question is this; do I finish the rest of them or find something else to work on?




2 comments:

  1. Nice. I working on assembling Sargent of Arms for my medival army. Need to get back to finishing my vikings. Just need to paint their clothing. Death to the stasi in Lansing if I can say that.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude you have enough to play Mortal Gods with Mark and I. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete