Thursday, May 28, 2020

Dusty Projects XVI; Lindberg HE-100 1/72 scale



       About fifty years ago I struck a deal with my cousin John, who was almost exactly a year older than I. We would buy each other the coolest World War Two airplane model that we could find for our respective birthdays, which were a mere six weeks apart. I took my lawn mowing money (which was paid at the princely sum of twenty five cents a job) and walked the mile and a half to the local K-Mart where I laid down almost forty cents for a model HE-100 for him. K-Mart at the time was a proper Department Store and had a Models and Hobbies section managed by a WW2 vet who was also a modeller. In return my cousin got me a HE-162 Volksjager model. We were both delighted with our gifts and promptly shot them to pieces with our BB guns. 

       I was, however, struck by the sleek lines of the HE-100 and resolved to get one as a "keeper" (i.e. it would be spared the ravages of the Red Rider and have a coveted place on the display shelf in my room). For reasons that escape me now this never came to pass, that is until a few years ago when I drove past a garage sale that was displaying a sign that said simply "Old Models", intrigued I stopped and took a look. Among other treasures I found myself a Lindberg HE-100 kit. I promptly made it mine. It had sat unattended in a box in The Vault ever since, until last week when my endless hunt for the errant Airfix Mayflower turned it up. I paused for a moment and then set it aside to build.

priced at four dollars I thought it was a steal
the same box as I gave my cousin

not great but much better than the pilot that came with the Claude model

despite the nearly half-century waiting to be built the parts fit was superb!

it is an incredibly simple model with raised detail 
 but the fit and finish is excellent

wing-root gaps, the bane of many airplane kits, were nearly non-existant

this really took me back to my childhood

the kits certainly captures the look of the prototype

although the total lack of wheel well detail made me think that I should have built it "wheels up"

look carefully above the word TOYS and you can see the thirty-five cent price
ahh, the good old days when a 1/72 scale model cost just over an hour's pay

primed white you can see just how good the parts fit is, 
I used no filler anywhere on this klit

base-coated in green

then the German Medium Green

followed by the dark green

glossed up for decals

decals with this kit were simply horrid, way off center and very thick

half a century of storage had left them badly yellowed as well

I tried to trim the decals back into register but I am way out of practice at that 
it seems I may have done more harm than good

the finished model

a sleek looking bird

Vallejo Matte Spray takes ages to dry but gives a beautiful finish

yeah, I probably should have built it as a flying model 
those wheel wells look like wounds






2 comments:

  1. Nice looking job. And I agree that building it as a flying model would have been better.

    You've been a model building machine these past two months +.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful planes. When I ruminated on expanding the Blood Red Skies game further into the Spanish Civil War I thought about buying some of them, but decided not to in the final analysis.

    ReplyDelete